Rig Tension

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rig Tension

Postby Mike Gillum » Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm

When I jumped into the Day Sailer Class with #2772 in 2007 I used the North Sails Day Sailer Tuning Guide that was developed from many years of Dave Keran's experience with #316 Vieja.
I haven't adjusted or changed my rig since then even with my changeover from North Sails to Quantum/Dieball Sailing in 2008. That has to do with the old adage "If ain't broke don't fix it!".
Any adjustment to the turnbuckles on the shrouds and forestay should only be done while the rig is slack. Otherwise you run the risk of seizing them under load!
Every Loos Gauge is different! Take two Loos Gauges to the same boat's rigging and you'll get two different number each and every time!
That's why you use your very own Loos Gauge to measure your boat each time otherwise you'll be chasing your tail and frying your mind all at the same time.
As far as rigging goes; I put the mast butt throught the Cuddy Cabin into the maststep on the keelson, lead the halyards, attach the boom to the gooseneck, attach the main halyard to the outhaul, hoist the boom to horizontal using the main halyard, tension the mainsheet to bend the mast until I can attach the shrouds to the chainplates, release the mainsheet, use the bow winch attached to the jib halyard to pull the rig forward enough to attach the forestay and release the bow winch.
Take care if your mast has too many holes from previous rigging especially near the juncture of the shrouds and forestay as that could cause your mast to break or collapse!
Mike Gillum

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed May 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Good post Mike.

So, do you make any adjustments for weather conditions? Or, do you use the same tension always? Do you use the forstay to determine your rake and then adjust the shrouds for tension?

Thanks, KC
K.C. Walker

Rig Tension

Postby Mike Gillum » Thu May 20, 2010 6:27 pm

No adjustment at all simply because I would forget that I adjusted it one way and not take care of it later!
Fully hoisted 50' Metal Tape Measure connected to the Main Halyard and stretched tight to measure the corner transition between the Deck and Transom. Most one-design classes measure Rake via this method.
The Shrouds and Forestay affect rake to a small degree but the biggest adjustment is at the Mast Butt/Keelson.
Mike Gillum

Return to Day Sailer I Only