New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Postby GreenLake » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:03 pm

tomodda wrote:Wow, those rudder cheeks are amazing
I'd be afraid of breakage, but you are apparently sailing along just fine!

I agree. The question is, whether the strength of the frame when twisted is as good as the full rudder head. It's not the same as loading this shape for bending as if it was a beam. I'm not a mechanical engineer so I don't know where to look for answers to that interesting question.

My rebuilt rudder blade is light enough that it has enough buoyancy to float a rudder head and tiller (if I grab the end of the tiller and stick the rudder blade in the water and keep it upright, it will float and not sink). So it does no longer add to the stern squatting, which is the primary concern. The other concern with extra weight, or actually mass at the transom is that it affects the angular momentum in pitching of the boat. It's normally best to concentrate all weight (mass) in the middle. Because it's mass that matters, buoyancy does not come into play.

The rudder blade looks like it's original, that means it's heavy.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:52 pm

This is all "learn to walk before you can run" stuff, Nick. You'll be fine with this rudder head. But always fun to see what racing-minded folks do to their boats. That rudder head certainly is radical.
tomodda

Postby igotit » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:18 pm

Its all coming together....except weather.
Picked up a cheap davis tiller tamer,gonna look into remote throttle soon.but weather not been great lately to go sail,on the days that im off work like today its rain.
This weekend the forcast calls for good weather,on the cold side but sunny and low winds.if all goes well ill go out to the lake this weekend.ill attempt both sails and try to get a better video.
Thanx for the support
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 pm

Sounds like a plan.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:51 am

The weather didnt hold up over the weekend,wound up going kayak fishing instead.
And the davis tiller tammer wont work out on the ds1,due to the placement of the lines will interfere with my engine.davus spec require the tie off points be in an exact position to so that both lines have tension constantly.
So i took greenlakes advise and went with the bungee method,i like it.plenty variable tension by increasing or decresaing wraps.
Hoping to be out on the water soon.
Im contemplating turning her over,lite sanding then a bottom antifoul coat so that i can leave her in the water for weeks at a time.
In my local water after 3 days algee starts to bond to hulls
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:47 pm

Great to have another convert to the "bungee method". :)

Better luck with the weather.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Tue May 11, 2021 3:42 pm

like to thank you all for the info,advice,and friendly atmosphere.even if you didnt reply here,i may have read some of your threads.
Sadly im selling this ds1 localy.my reason.....i just havent found the time to get out there and sail as often as id like.i did try 2 weeks ago,and i had a ruff time lifting the main on my own.as stated im disabled and have weak arms and hands.took all i had to get the sail up.but after she was up,it was worth it.sailed for about 2 hours,and she is a very stable and agile boat.
I will regret this sale,lately ive been using the ds1 as a fishing boat.and id hate to remove all the rigging,sailing gear and modify it to better suit my needs of use.
So ill pass this classic along to a buy that appreciates her for what she is.
I have directed the buyers to this forum,and a link to this thread.
Once again i thank you all,and my sailing journey isnt over.
Last edited by igotit on Wed May 12, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 pm

Sad to see you move on, but thanks for taking great care to pass on a good boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Tue May 11, 2021 4:27 pm

Shes a great boat,the buyer is excited and used to sail in his younger days.im hopefull he will take good care of her.it will definatly be missed.shes a great cruising boat fir what i do.
I broke a spreader this morning raising the mast,didnt notice strb shroud was under my foot.
Went buy some 1/4 sch 40 aluminium tube and made 2 new spreader bars.i linked the replacements from drmarine to the buyer incase he wants new,or doesnt wanna put faith in a diy part.
Ill try n keep in touch with him once he starts sailing.
Sale isnt set in stone,hes confident he wants her and coming to inspect/buy in a day or 2.
Id like to think my ds1 is in fair condition and asked a fair price,im keeping my motor aswell.

Id like to leave this thread up,if anything it will help answer some rigging questions for others.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 12, 2021 1:45 am

We don't take down threads, as a rule.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Sat May 15, 2021 11:54 pm

Looks like im keeping her for awhile longer.
The buyer wanted a tittle on the boat.being theres no hin,id have to get inspected fir $28,once it passes $20 for the hin,then $44 for the tittle plus $46 for new registration just to satisfy the new buyer,and after all that transfer to his name.and i even was letting him take it fir $300 less than asking price.
My ad stated no tittle on trailer.
After all that my trailer still isnt legal,thats another $280.
In order to get trailer tittle id have to goto dmv and pay $60 for lost tittle,it will then be mailed to ted(last registered owner),then once ted gets tittle gotta drive 2 hrs to meet at notary and bill of sale ($40)to transfer over to me.then wait for new tittle to come in.i understand trailer tittle is important.i never worried cuz launch is close by,i live in a 2 road town and wasnt concerned bout trailer tittle.buyer knew bout no trailer tittle before coming look at my ds1.boats in louisiana dont require tittles,but is optional.if it is tittled cant transfer ownership without it.
Cant get him to understand all that extra cost and time,because of covid our local wlf closed so gotta deal with main and they are backed up and 2hr drive away
So she stays for now,ill have to make time to enjoy her.the buyer is just wanting too much at this time.i cant spend $500 extra and honor our agreeded on $1500 price.he never offered to pay for the extra that he wants to satisfy his wants.
igotit

Postby tomodda » Sun May 16, 2021 1:51 pm

This is why the saying: "The two happiest days of a boat owner's life is when she buys her and when she sells her!" Good luck...
tomodda

Postby Fly4rfun » Sun May 16, 2021 6:03 pm

he should have covered at least half of the cost knowing that you said no title. enjoy sailing this summer
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby igotit » Sun May 16, 2021 7:20 pm

I dont mind helping out ,i went beyond what i needed to do to make the sale.
Not saying hes unreasonable,but the amount of time,fuel,and cost is just beyond my means right now.
So its in best intrest to either let my ad run,and wait for another buyer.....or keep her.
I did find a early 90s daysailor 1,has no rigging.just bare hull and trailer.think ill pick that 1 up and convert to the fishing boat that i want.
It currently has no paperwork but speaking with wl&f to see about having her inspected and registered as salvaged.
Its only $250
So it may just all work out
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 17, 2021 5:56 pm

Last time I sold something through an ad, I had the buyer ask me to drive some distance across town to meet them, whereupon he tried to lowball me with a counter offer. I packed up, drove home and added $100.00 to the list price. Got a taker in no time w/o fuss.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only