DS1 Trailering Questions

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 Trailering Questions

Postby jcdas » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:46 am

Hi folks.
When I brought my DS1 project home, the mast was supported quite forward, preventing the hatch of my VW Atlas SUV from opening. It's a power operated hatch so it's a trick to make sure it doesn't open up too quickly. When parked in the driveway, the front end of the mast is just at head height, sticking out from the trailer hitch, and I've inadvertently wacked my head on the mast, despite the end being painted fluorescent orange.

I'm thinking of making my front mast support post from the A section of the trailer winch structure. (Maybe 12" to the rear of the brown mast support. ) I want to move the mast back enough that the Atlas power hatch can open without smashing into the mast. Dropping the mast to just clear the Cuddy so it's more visible and maybe more streamlined while towing.

I've made a bracket that attaches to the rear (bottom) end of the mast with SS gear clamps, with another pair of tail lamps. In this configuration, the mast will extend 7' behind the transom of the DS1.

Any issues with this mast support location?

Appreciate your feedback.

John.
jcdas

Re: DS1 Trailering Questions

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:48 pm

I have three supports for my mast. One is inserted into the mast slot and supports the mast near dead center about a foot above the deck. The second is at the transom. And the third is clamped onto the equivalent of the A frame on your trailer.

I added the third one myself because before the mast had been hanging too far over the transom for my taste. The height at the front was determined by the existing supports. It's high enough to clear the roof of the SUV I use for trailering. It barely clears the window that can be opened separately from the rear door.

I like that the unsupported length of the mast both front and back is limited.

Before the front support, the mast was positioned further back and had long overhang.

In constructing the front support I used two boards. At the top there's a block the width of the mast forming the cradle for the mast. The bottom half I placed on either side of the winch support post. Then I used bolts to pull the two sides together clamping them to the support post. There were some useful protrusions for which I drilled matching holes which locked the mast support in place so I'm not relying on friction alone.

If I get a chance I'll add some pictures.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:51 pm

I'm not banging my head, so perhaps mine sits just a few inches higher
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby stillwaterfield » Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:23 pm

I really like what you did with the rear trailer lights. I need to do something like that because the actual trailer lights are not too visible with the boat hanging so far over them.
stillwaterfield

Postby darkstream » Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:45 am

Speaking of boats hanging over, I have a related trailer question. How far over the rear bunks can a Day Sailer I safely extend unsupported? I recently bought a boat/trailer package deal and unfortunately found out at home that the tongue weight of the trailer was near 300lbs, which is both too heavy for me to safely manage in the yard and too heavy for my tow vehicle. The trailer is a LOAD RITE 16F1200W GVWR 1485lbs. The axle is welded so I moved the bow winch stand backward to rebalance. I had to move it ~30 inches to get the tongue weight down to 150lbs. In this configuration, the transom is sitting 44 inches behind the end of the bunks. The bunks extend 7 inches past the rear support bracket.

darkstream

Return to Day Sailer I Only