My DS

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

My DS

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 29, 1999 1:00 am

I have an old DS1, I think. A plate on the aft mahogany coming states:
<BLOCKQUOTE>Made by Marscot Plastics Inc.
Fall River Mass.
For G. D. O'Day Associates
Boston Mass.
Hull # 2344
Class 245</BLOCKQUOTE>It is identical to photographs on this site. It appears in stock condition, except the previous owner installed 3 small fixed oval plexiglass portholes on the cuddy, navigation lights and 8 diameter access holes, one in the fore boyancy chamber and two in the aft boyancy chamber.

The hull is in perfect shape and I cruise sail it frequently in southern Ontario, Canada. Could this boat be raced in the DS1 class with or without modifications?

I will be in Sarasota, unfortunately, without the boat, around March 20-24. I would enjoy watching the race that may happen there. Where could I get details of the event?

James Gibson (jamesgibson-at-canoemail.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 04, 1999 1:00 am

I'm sure that your boat could be raced in class events, but it might require a waiver due to the modifications you mentioned. I copied the following out ot the Day Sailor One Design Measurement Rules that are posted on this site:

3.3 The Class Measurer is authorized to waive compliance with specific portions of this by-law, for specific boats, subject to review by the Governing Board, under the following conditions:

ii. when a boat has a specific problem which is not easily remedied and which does not give a competitive advantage.

To issue this waiver, the Class Measurer shall be satisfied that no significant advantage would accrue from the waiver, and that modification to comply with the by-law would result in an undue burden on the owner. Such a waiver shall be in writing, describing the nature and details of the deviation and the boat to which it applies, and stating that the waiver is valid only for the part affected when used on that specified boat.

The Class Measurer may grant a temporary waiver of a specific duration if corrective measures would not impose an undue burden, stating the expiration date of the waiver.

Kevin Clark (clark-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only