Various DS1 Questions

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Various DS1 Questions

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 1999 1:00 am

I picked up a vintage (if neglected) Day Sailer 1 over the summer and am looking for wisdom on any or all of the following topics:
<OL><LI>Should I be concerned about the possiblity of the boat sinking in a capsize situation? If so, can I mitigate that risk by installing foam flotation under the wooden seats or under the forward storage area? Any specific suggestions on a gameplan would be appreciated -- my bride and four children are threatening to stay ashore until I solve this one.</LI><LI>Not that I ever plan to capsize -- but has anyone had success minimizing capsize situations by placing a float at the top of the mast or by inserting foam into the mast cavity itself?</LI><LI>Any recommendations on good jam-cleat hardware for securing the main sheet -- and where to install it? (Looks like I have the original hardware -- a two-inch-diameter brass puley which may be a decent collector's item but isnt' much help in a strong wind).</LI><LI>Is that drip-drip-drip coming out the screw on my centerboard trunk likely a result of a gasket problem ... or is it more likely that I need to re-bed the screw?</LI></OL>

Chuck Goodrich (good5buck-at-nii.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 09, 1999 1:00 am

<OL><LI>Sinking? No, from what I've been told, the 1st generation DS1's w/ plank seats had adequate flotation so that the boat cannot sink. In fact, the flotation in your boat is all along the sides which allows your boat to ride higher when on it's side and thus it is easier to right and self-rescue than the newer models which have air chambers in the seats.</LI><LI>Float on the mast top? Hobie catamarans often have these since they are nearly impossible to right if they go turtle. This would be a good idea if the winds are strong and you're worried about the possibility of a capsize. Antifreeze bottles work well.</LI><LI>Harken offers several solutions. The most popular is a #205 swivel base w/ an 019 Little Hexaratchet. You'll need to drill and tap some new holes into the metal plate...</LI><LI>Yep. Some Vasoline on the gasket might help, or just replace it. I copied this from a posting made here about a year ago:<BLOCKQUOTE>Does your centerboard leak? Day Sailer I Centerboard Handle Gaskets available! Fleet 23 has them at cost. $3.25 per gasket, plus $.75 per gasket for shipping, Please send order and check payable to:
Alan T Jones
Suite 840
621 SW Alder
Portland, OR 97205-3623
(503)241-2575

Posted by Gus Heismann on Apr 2, 1998.</BLOCKQUOTE></LI></OL>Have fun w/ your new Day Sailer. I'm sure you're going to love it!

Kevin Clark
'84 Spindrift DS1

Kevin Clark (clark-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Sun May 16, 1999 12:00 am

Just to let you know that the boat will not sink. Behind the molded section of the seat backs is full of foam and also in the bow section there is foam as well. Under the mast step and the sole(floor) there is also foam. I personally just pulled out all the foam from these areas because it was soaking wet and weighed aboat 100 lbs.! If you have any delamination of the fiberglass in the cuddy sole, I would suggest you tackle the same feat! I am going to fill those sections with plastic soda bottles with caps because they are cheap, light, and will allow water to drain!
Could you measure how far the mast step id from the centerboard trunk for me? Thanks, Eric

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only