Hollow Centerboard?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hollow Centerboard?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 17, 1999 12:00 am

Hello. I have recently come into the posession of an old 16'9" daysailer which I am doing a lot of work on to get ready for what will be the rest of the summer season. This includes sanding the hull gelcoat which is very badly crazed for a sheathing of 2oz. fiberglass, priming and Awlgrip. In the process of doing this I removed the centerboard and want to make sure it's useable. I'm baffled because it seems hollow inside. I drilled a few holes in it because it was partially waterlogged (it sat in its well with boat upside down for a few years most probably freezing and thawing through the seasons) and after it drained I could compress its sides. Is this normal? I've never encountered anything like it. I'm thinking of filling the cavity inside with epoxy since I mistrust it being hollow in there. Any experience/thoughts on this situation?

Mark (mosborne-at-cybertours.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 1999 12:00 am

Filing with epoxy will result in a very heavy centerboard. Also, such a high volume of epoxy will probably heat up a lot when curing and could make bubbles, ruining the shape of your centerboard.

Polyurethane expansible foam seems to be a good solution, but these foam expand a lot when curing so make sure you pour it gradually and leave holes for the foam to escape. Make sure you use a closed-cell foam (polystyrene won't do) or your problem will just get worse - the water will get in and take forever to get out.

You could also leave it hollow, having some water in there isn't a big deal (it's a the best possible position to improve your righting moment -) ), but if you can compress the sides by hand the board is definitely not stiff enough for good upwind performance...

Hope this helps

Franck Mangin (Mangin-at-pacbell.net)

Return to Day Sailer I Only