finally

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

finally

Postby crawford » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:50 pm

After 14 years I finally have another DS. My first was a DS2 (I learned in that boat 27 years ago). My first is still moored at our local lake. Then in 94 I began sailing Catalina 22s (3), lasers, fj, coronado15, el torro, and 8 other types. (I am not much of a racer, but always had fun.)
But I always missed the DS. Fleet 4 introduced me to howling winds on the Napa River. Millerton Lake introduced me to planing. Don Pedro Lake taught me to sail camp. And my love of retoration brought me back to DS1.
For three years I have been trying to get an old beat up hull from a friend. Finally in January he sold it to me. The thwarts were a 2x4. Ferrous metal held evrything together with attractive rust stains accompanying each fastener.
After four months of fun I am ready to sail. Come monday I will see if I will fall in love again.
The old boat is hull 113, sail 178. It has been great re-reading everything on the website. You have all helped, without knowing it. Thank you.
I once drew cartoons for the quarterly (80s) and read everything written in each issue. But the website with it's consolidation of knowledge is even better.
lakeyosemite.com
crawford

Postby swiftsail » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:40 pm

Are you going to come out and race with us?

Redwood city(Perry Deation Regatta) is June 10 & 11
High Sierra (Huntington Lake) July 8 & 9
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

race?

Postby crawford » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:35 pm

Probably not. I have a grandson being born that week end in july and I am not much of a racer.
Redwood city is a bit far in this day of repulsive gas prices.
(lots of excuses...) But will sail often on our Merced lake until I get the boat handling down again. Maybe next year.
crawford

Return to Day Sailer I Only