New DS I, at last

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New DS I, at last

Postby spoefish » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:34 pm

Well, looks like luck might be on my side and I am back in business with a Day Sailer again. In the past I had a DS II (did not like it – just too much of a plastic boat), and then restored a nice red DS I – 3550. Replaced the transom, re-did all the mahogany including floorboards, added lots of details, new Thurston sails, etc. and had it for about 10 years. Sold it a while after I moved from Nebraska (lakes) to Maryland (the Chesapeake) and moved up to a Sailmaster 22, then down to a Cape Dory Typhoon. The Typhoon has been a lot of fun, but I do miss being able to take my boat with me and have a little more variety in my sailing.

Tonight got the high bid of $1025 in on an 83 Spindrift DS I with what looks like a decent trailer on the auction site. Looks nice, and fingers crossed that there are no water logging or structural problems. I live south of Annapolis so it is a 200 mile trip to pick up the boat. Still, the price seemed good enough to gamble on. The spindrifts I have seen seemed to be a nice evolution on the O'Day DS I boats. Luck came in with the power going out 10 minutes after the auction closed – a little earlier and I would have missed getting in that bid with 6 seconds to go. On top of that, over the weekend I was at a garage sale and found a new Dwyer tabernacle for $15 – I put one in my last boat and it made putting the mast up much simpler.

Really excited – and a little apprehensive – about picking up the boat next week. Any advice about Spindrift boats would be appreciated – mine is RRR11670M83J. Pictures are at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4650432875 if you are interested. Now time to do some search on Spindrift boats and hope for the best.

Cheers, and dream of fish,

Stephen
"When you are playin' the banjo, everything is OK"

Steve Martin
spoefish

Return to Day Sailer I Only