Rigging Mainsail

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rigging Mainsail

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 22, 1999 12:00 am

Need help with recommended rigging configuration of
mainsail on DS 1. Does the line run across the
surface of the transom? I just thought this is a little strange for the line to be rubbing the surface of the transom between blocks. I think it would eventually leave marks in the surface. Could someone please explain the original setup for the mainsheet line right after the line leaves the cam cleat to finally finish up at the loop on the end of the boom.
Thanks,
Steve DS 4174

Steve (deturk10-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 23, 1999 12:00 am

Hi Steve,
I have never figured out exactly how the traveler line was rigged, but I devised a very simple method that worked good enough to win 2 national championships. You can find a picture and description at www.daysailer.org. Since the way I rigged it there is a little hook in the middle of the rear deck coaming that keeps the bridle just like you see it, there is no chafe to mar the rear deck. If you have any other questions my E-mail is phillrt@msn.com
phill DS2543

Phill Root (phillrt-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 19, 2000 8:48 am

The source! I recently posted a message wondering what kind of hook holds your fixed triangle traveller, and where it is mounted. I looked at the photo on the rigging web page and couldn't tell if the hook was inside the coaming, run to a wood block under the transom deck.....(and then my mind started wandering and the possibilities were virtually endless). Have you made, or could you suggest, any improvements? (then again it IS good enough for the 2x National Champ, why mess with it) There aren't any other Day Sailers around here to share info with. I appreciate the help.

Barry (BFK-at-sdcity.sannet.gov)

Return to Day Sailer I Only