righting a capsized Day Sailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby Guest » Sun May 11, 2003 9:28 pm

Without water tight or nearly water tight doors on the cuddy, it is virtually impossible for one or two guys to right a daysailer after a capsize.

I agree with Mr. Johnson that a daysailer should not capsize when sailed correctly, but in my opinion that also means not sailing in winds above 25 mph, and having a reefed mainsail in winds above 15 mph. These boats were not designed to be sailed in real high winds, since they have no ballast.

Ken Cobb (kcobb-at-blackwellsanders.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:50 pm

Separate but related...in a strong breeze, she loves to heel to a wet leeward rail and then turn into the wind. Sitting on the high gunwhale I'm pulling the tiller hard over and she still wants to point up. Then the rudder finally bites, and it's back down and off the wind, ease and trim, waiting for the next puff to do the same thing. I imagine we all have this happen, but what suggestions does anyone have for minimizing?

Tom (tbeames65-at-cs.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:09 pm

This is the case where the boat is overpowered. Flattening the main is the goal here.
You can do this by tightening the outhaul and the cunningham (or the main halyard) Having sufficient purchase on these controls is probably a good idea. Hiking hard will help (this is where hiking straps become very helpful and why some folks have cut down the wooden combings on the O'Day DS I's.

If the boat is still overpowered, ease the traveller, if you have one. If not you'll have to resort to easing the main (aka fisherman's reef), which is not as good a solution.

If you've reefing points in the main, you can take in a reef.

If you can adjust the rake and prebend in the mast, go back to the dock and put less rake and more prebend into the mast. The former will reduce the weather helm, the latter will flatten the main and depower the boat.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:18 am

An additional tip, especially if you do not have a traveler...or use the "standard" triangle line traveler.

This implies that you have adequate purchase on your vang.

In strong winds, crank on your vang and use a "vang sheeting method". This allows you to ease your mainsheet on the puffs. One problem of easing your mainsheet, without the vang, is that as your ease your mainsheet, the boom will rise, allowing the mainsail to actually become fuller. This somewhat defeats the purpose of having the flat mainsail achieved with a lot of outhaul and cunningham tension.

Having the vang on keeps the boom down as you ease the mainsheet.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Don Trop

Don Trop (don.trop-at-att.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:43 pm

Great idea; just got the vang from Rudy. Will try it out.

Tom (tom.beames-at-wachovia.com)

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only