Lazy Jacks

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby algonquin » Tue May 13, 2008 11:15 pm

The topping lift is about as simple (and cheap) as you can use other than using a boom crutch. I have used lazy jacks on larger and heavier boats with good results but I would personally avoid them on a DS. Mainly to reduce the amount of windage you are carrying aloft. Also setup time if you sail from a trailer. I prefer any added weight on my DS be added low in the hull. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Donal » Wed May 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Don't hesitate to try and make your own topping lift.

All you need is a length of 1/8" parachute cord (I got mine at Sport Chalet), an eyelet at the end of the boom, some kind of quick release clip or quick link, a block at the top of the mast (can be attached to another eyelet), and a cleat at the base of the mast.

You could also go with the setup Roger outlines in his book, but he has since changed to something like what I have.

I've been real happy with this setup...will try to post some pics later on.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby calden » Thu May 15, 2008 10:21 am

I've got a topping lift such as Donal described. Works great.

However, I find that having a line run down the mast to a cleat is extra unnecessary stuff. I'm now putting a topping lift on my other boat and it's a lot simpler.

Padeye at the top of the mast. A line is tied there and comes down to the end of the boom, going through a small cheek block on the side of the boom. The line goes through this block to a small jam cleat a few inches forward. Done.

When it's time to drop sail, I raise the boom a bit and pull on this line, jam-cleating it. I'm right there in the cockpit already, and when the boom is up I can then go forward and loosen the halyard.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

advantages and disadvantages

Postby Roger » Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 pm

All things in a boat are a compromise. As Donal indicated, I used to have a system like Calden (Carlos) but with my current boat have changed so that the adjustment line is on the coach roof.

Here are the advantages and disadvangages of both systems. First the one in my book where the line starts at the top of the mast runs to the back end of the boom, and either forward along the boom as Carlos indicates, or to a tube cleat on the line itself. The advantage of this system is less line, fewer blocks, (cheaper), but the disadvantage is that the adjusting end of the line may be well outboard when you want to engage it.

On the other hand with the system where by the line starts at the end of the boom, runs to the mast top, around a small cheek block, down the mast to a cleat on the mast or another cheek block then to a cleat on the cabin top. Advantage: Always reachable. Disadvantage: more gear, increased cost, more line, crowded cabin top. For the DS, I wouldn't recommend one system over the other, although my preference is to have all the controls at the cabin top.
Roger

Postby calden » Fri May 16, 2008 12:25 am

Roger's right on this issue.

For someone wanting to put in some kind of topping lift I would sit in your boat and think about where you are when you hoist the sail, and what feels ergonomically correct to you. Right now I've got the topping lift cleated on the front lip of the cuddy, but I'm thinking it will be easier to have it be on a cleat on the aft part of the boom, similar to Roger's tube cleat design.

Oh well, I'll probably change it over then decide I want it back the other way. I think I just like drilling holes in aluminum and playing with my rivet gun.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Day Sailer I Only