Floatation tanks

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Floatation tanks

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2000 12:00 am

I am interested in floatation tanks aboard DS 1. I have cut into the fiberglass in order to remove soggy foam. I am wondering if this bow tank is neccessary for hull strength. The raised floor under the cuddy was also rotten and I am wondering if I must replace it for hull strength as well. It would be more spacious and convenient without either, however I am reluctant because I do not want to sacrifice hull integrity. Any thoughts?

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2000 12:00 am

If you remove the forward flotation tank, you will disqualify the boat for Day Sailer class racing. I definitely would not do it even if you never plan to race the boat. It would reduce the resale value dramatically.

As for the wood flooring that is rotting. This can and almost always is removed by racers. It's nice for keeping things dry as most boats tend to get a little water in the floor from spray or leaky CB gaskets, but it does detract from leg room and adds weight.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX DS11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 16, 2001 12:49 am

The forward bow tank and the seat/floatation tanks are necessary for safety !! Without them, the DS will sink !! Most of us do cut 6" inspection ports in all three floatation tanks to remove the waterlogged foam and REPLACE IT with new. (1960- 1972 DS's) NO other floatation tank modification is allowed for class racing.

Phill Root (phillrt-at-msn.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only