Drain Plug

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Drain Plug

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 25, 2000 4:52 pm

I have been trailer-sailing my DS1 and have been hating all the bailing. Has anyone attempted to add a drain plug on a DS1? It seems possible, but it also seems it could seriously compromise hull integrity. I wouldn't use it as a bailer underway obviously, but what about when on the trailer? Any thoughts or suggestions? E

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2000 9:50 am

I thought all DS's have drain plugs..? I know my Spindrift has one in the transom just off center, and I know the guys w/ O'Days that I sail w/ all have them. Maybe they added there's?

Kevin Clark
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2000 10:21 am

That brings up an interesting question. Mine is a '59 O'day. It has a plug but I don't really know what it's for since there's no outlet. Any ideas? It sure would be nice to find out that it's some sort of drain. It would save me a lot of pumping on rainy days.

J.T.

J.T.Ellis (parrothead-at-messageasap.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2000 11:22 am

J.T.,

Ah... You have a plank seat, 1st gen DS1... A guy in our club has one of these and it has a plug in the floor between the centerboard trunk and the transom. I always assumed that it was a drain plug, but you say it doesn't go anywhere..?

Kevin Clark
DS 11791

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2000 11:59 am

That's my baby. None of those silly flotation tanks or anything. I believe she's all original but the floorboards (which I didn't know she was supposed to have until I started reading this discussion group) - even the sails.

It's actually in the transom but it doesn't come out the other side. I've never tried using it as a drain plug because I didn't want to fill the stern with water.

J.T.Ellis (parrothead-at-messageasap.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2000 1:48 pm

J.T.,

I've been told that floorboards were optional (extra cost) when these boats were originally sold. If this is true, it's quite possible your boat never had floorboards.

Kevin Clark

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2000 6:25 pm

I have this plug as well that leads in to the after floatation compartment. It does not lead through the transom. I find it interesting why Oday would have put in this plug because it only seems to invite water into this after compartment. I have put a plug in that hole and sealed it off. There is access to this compartment, as there is a fiberglass plate that goes over the compartment. I screwed this plate into place and used silicone to seal it off. All dry in there now. The only way I can see to adding the drain plug is to put a through hull fitting. I hesitate to try it, but I guess I can always reglass over the hole if it doesn't work. Any thoughts. I have a gen 1 DS1 as well, but I don't have any floorboards in mine. I am considering adding the rubber mats they sell at restaurant supply stores for kitchen non-skid mats. I am not sure what or if I will put in a plug, but I am hating to bail, and I get an aweful bit of gravel to grind away my sweet paintjob due to beach landings. This would be much easier to eliminate if I could "flush it down the drain!"

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2000 10:34 pm

Eric:
Best info I have is that I have the DS-1, a 71 model. It has a drain plug in the bottom at the stern. There was a lot of sealer around it when I bought the boat, but I've cleaned it out and it is a pretty good drain. It has a ball, like a ping pong ball inside to seal it when it's in the water. I also have a drain at about the water line in the transom.
As far as trailoring which I do, I've found that the siphon you can get in the hardware stores is a good rig. It's a plastic tube with a squeeze bulb at the top with a screw-type vent which you use to break the suction when you want to stop it. It has an output tube mounted at a 90 degree angle so you can place the siphon tube over the transom with the output outside. I purchased another length of clear plastic tube that fits nicely over the output end. That allows me to extend the output to the ground from the trailor. You just start the action and it'll do it's job very well. It takes some residue out but I usually have to clean the remaining sand with a sponge.
Good Luck!

RAY Gendron (rvgen-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 26, 2000 8:37 pm

My DSI has a drain plug. I don't recall the exact location because I can't see it under the floor boards and I have never used it. It is probably near the center of the boat, and if I remember right, it might take a allen wrench (hex wrench) to open it. In addition there are three other plugs that let water drain out of the seats and the transom into the bottom of the boat from where you can bail it. However, the drain to which I am referfing goes right through the hull.

Steve Max (75264.153-at-compuserve.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only