Thanks for your help!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Thanks for your help!

Postby mkwmson » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:26 pm

I wanted to take a minute and thank everyone that posts problems, solutions, experiences, etc. This site has helped once again.

I have only had my new to me DS1 out several times in light winds just getting the feel of the boat. Two weekends ago, I took it out in what I thought were light winds as well with my 76 year old mother in tow. Well the winds picked up (my guess is 15+ mph). It was not a good outing. Just trying to keep the boat head to wind to raise the sails was difficult. While hoisting the main, we inadvertantly let boat swing around bringing the wind to beam which heeled us over and let about 200 gals of water over the rail. You never saw a 76 old mother climb to high side of the boat so fast, I was proud. Anyway, I was able keep it from going over and we got the sail down and let wind drift us to the lee shore while I bailed. I decided that we did not need to be out there and we motored back to the launch.

I made several mistakes (I am also new to sailing), but I wasn't sure what they were immediately, so I began looking for answers. First, I determined that the boom was a problem because we had to battle it while steering to wind. I needed a way to keep up and out of the way. Second, I realized that I had pulled the main sheet in tight to help keep the boom straight as we attempted to head into the wind.

To solve the first issue I found many posts here regarding boom crutches & topping lifts. I decided that a topping lift was the best and cheapest, so I installed one that was tied off at the top of mast and run down through a dual block (the other side of which I now use for my outhaul) on the end of the boom to a new cleat on the side of the boom.

The second issue, I now know from reading several posts about capsized boats what not to do. I need to be able to let the main out easily and quickly in case I get in that position again.

Finally, yesterday I put the boat back in the water under similar, but maybe not quite as strong conditions (10 - 15 mph). Topping lift work awesome! It kept the boom out of way entirely and made steering 100% easier. I also sailing for several hours with the main in my hand without cleating it at all, it was fabulous. Lastly, heading out yesterday my confidence was bruised, but when we pulled out I was pleased, confident, and ready to go again. Maybe tomorrow.

Mike
Michael Williamson
"Wet Willy"
Spindrift DS1 #11469
mkwmson

Return to Day Sailer I Only