floorboards

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: floorboards

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed May 31, 2017 1:19 am

Abaird62 wrote:Thank You! I am starting on them this weekend. I do have he drain in the Keelson. So it is good to know that variant. So this week my plight is to find Mahagony.

Maybe give it awhile until John has a chance to work his magic on my original feeble stab at it? ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 31, 2017 1:58 am

TIM WEBB wrote:
Abaird62 wrote:Thank You! I am starting on them this weekend. I do have he drain in the Keelson. So it is good to know that variant. So this week my plight is to find Mahagony.

Maybe give it awhile until John has a chance to work his magic on my original feeble stab at it? ;-P

Nah, delay is probably deadly in any project like that. Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 am

I recieved the drawing from Tim and requested pictures from David to do the earlier varient. Tim's drawing (other than the slot) seem to be correct for boats later than 1966. David has started refinishing his floorboards an sent me a picture and there are definately some differences. Differences appear to be in the forward sections. The front part against the bow tank differs and there are cutouts for the centerboard lever.

I'll get on this when I through making my navigational charts for the upcoming Texas 200 (less than 2 weeks away). I have also asked David to send me additional pictures with a scale to draw up the variation for earlier boats.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby om3ga83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 am

Any news on the drawings for the older boats? If needed I can get measurements off of mine. A cad drawing would be helpful to me.
om3ga83

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:54 pm

om3ga83 wrote:Any news on the drawings for the older boats? If needed I can get measurements off of mine. A cad drawing would be helpful to me.

Unfortunately, John Alesch (jeadstx) passed away suddenly in early July. I do not know if he ever got around to finishing the floorboard drawings (see the earlier posts in this thread). David Oates may have some info on that? You could try PMing him at DavidOates8011. I'd be happy to email you the files I have, although apparently there are some errors in them. Just PM me your email addy.
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby om3ga83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:53 pm

Sorry about that I had seen where he had passed but didn't put the names together. As I said I can measure what I have and draw it out but I don't use cad software it would be in an adobe program.
om3ga83

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 pm

They didn't have CAD software when they put your originals together. And unless your were going to use some CAD-controlled cutter, any nice drawing should be useful. Tim's drawings that he posted here were basically pretty good, except for some detail near the tip, and the silly paddle slot being on the wrong side. Both would be things a skilled woodworker might work around w/ just a few numbers or a basic sketch.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby om3ga83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:09 pm

GreenLake wrote:They didn't have CAD software when they put your originals together. And unless your were going to use some CAD-controlled cutter, any nice drawing should be useful. Tim's drawings that he posted here were basically pretty good, except for some detail near the tip, and the silly paddle slot being on the wrong side. Both would be things a skilled woodworker might work around w/ just a few numbers or a basic sketch.

I didnt think they would have any from back then. I didnt know if someone had made any up my boat is a 1964 to the best of my knowledge. I do have my floor boards and I can just take the measurements from them I was just trying to save myself time But if there are none I will and draw them out and post them. I also have to do the coming and seat boards so its not a huge ordeal I was just checking. Thanks
om3ga83

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:21 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to be snarky. Good luck and anything you create feel free to post here. (Or contact me for a place to host the file so we can link)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby om3ga83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:42 pm

I didnt take it that way no worries. I was just trying to be clear on what I was asking. I just went out and took some pictures of my floor boards and will make drawings of them soon.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/db8d325hk22h ... 6AyQa?dl=0
That link contains all of the pictures of my DS1 but the floorboards are in there too.
om3ga83

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:57 pm

To me (and I'm pretty sure John would have agreed), the beauty of doing drawings like these in CAD is the ability to accurately dimension and "test fit" all the elements on screen, in order to see where things may or may not match up. They are in no way meant to be used for any kind of CNC cutting of parts. When we both used to have jobs, we both used CAD on a daily basis, and it was kinda neat to be able to also use that tool for boat-related things, such as our rudder head designs. I have no doubt that TRW's improved rudder head would have taken me at least three tries to get right w/o CAD. With CAD, it came out right the first time.

As I've stated here and elsewhere, I only drew them up for kicks since some folks had been asking about them. I saw the post with the (very) loosely dimensioned photos, and thought it might be fun/challenging to come up with something a bit more "precise". There were a lot of places on the dimensioned photos where the dimensions didn't jive, so I was forced to "interpolate", so to speak. I guess it turns out there wasn't much precision at all in these floorboards over the years, and even if I had a DS1 (which I didn't, nor access to one), with complete, original floorboards, to compare the drawings to, even then they wouldn't have been correct for all versions/variations over the years.

I originally put these out several (many?) years ago, and sent them out to a few people along the way. Nobody pointed out any discrepancies to me until I sent them to John earlier this year, and of course he noticed differences right away, since he had a DS1 by then and also access to other DS1s to look at.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished ...

P.S.: I never charged anyone a dime for these - to include plotting them out on manila stock for one guy. Just trying to pay it forward ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby om3ga83 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:09 am

TIM WEBB wrote:To me (and I'm pretty sure John would have agreed), the beauty of doing drawings like these in CAD is the ability to accurately dimension and "test fit" all the elements on screen, in order to see where things may or may not match up. They are in no way meant to be used for any kind of CNC cutting of parts. When we both used to have jobs, we both used CAD on a daily basis, and it was kinda neat to be able to also use that tool for boat-related things, such as our rudder head designs. I have no doubt that TRW's improved rudder head would have taken me at least three tries to get right w/o CAD. With CAD, it came out right the first time.

As I've stated here and elsewhere, I only drew them up for kicks since some folks had been asking about them. I saw the post with the (very) loosely dimensioned photos, and thought it might be fun/challenging to come up with something a bit more "precise". There were a lot of places on the dimensioned photos where the dimensions didn't jive, so I was forced to "interpolate", so to speak. I guess it turns out there wasn't much precision at all in these floorboards over the years, and even if I had a DS1 (which I didn't, nor access to one), with complete, original floorboards, to compare the drawings to, even then they wouldn't have been correct for all versions/variations over the years.

I originally put these out several (many?) years ago, and sent them out to a few people along the way. Nobody pointed out any discrepancies to me until I sent them to John earlier this year, and of course he noticed differences right away, since he had a DS1 by then and also access to other DS1s to look at.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished ...

P.S.: I never charged anyone a dime for these - to include plotting them out on manila stock for one guy. Just trying to pay it forward ...

Thank you Tim I would be left to assume that none of our boats are or were ever exactly the same. I would also think that any effort to make things easier for each other to keep these boats alive should be more important then some minor design issues from those trying to help. Thank you again and thanks to everyone that puts forth the effort to keep all of us afloat.
om3ga83

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:20 am

You are welcome, and you are correct that no two boats are ever the same, nor is one boat even symmetrical from one side to the other or stem to stern. It's the nature of the beast, and even in today's computerized boat building world, there are always minor imperfections. That's what makes every boat unique. Wabi sabi baby! ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only