floorboards

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: floorboards

Postby aswanlake » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 am

Also, about how much varnish does it take to do the floorboards and coamings?
aswanlake

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 11, 2017 3:11 pm

aswanlake wrote:Thanks everyone!

Greenlake, can you use a permeable oil finish on the mahogany floorboards? What brand would that be? I was under the impression that was only for teak.

Check out Sikkens Cetol Marine. (I've not used that one, but I know a painter who uses Cetol on a wooden railing on house boat and is happy with it). That railing most likely is also not teak.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 11, 2017 3:49 pm

You should be able to calculate the coverage based on the manufacturer's information compared to some estimate of the area of these pieces. I never did them all in one sitting and therefore have no definite information, but I buy the PU from SystemThree by the quart, not the gallon.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Abaird62 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:00 am

I have disintigrated floorboards. Can anyone supply me with a pattern and dimentions please? I have the stern one under the shelf and the first 18 inches under the cuddy. The rest was claimed by the New York Woodlands.
Abaird62

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 29, 2017 1:50 am

Somebody posted a while back here that they had a pattern, in fact they posted that on more than one occasion. Why not read backwards until you find one of those posts and contact the individual with a message. With luck, they have set their board setting so a private message send them an e-mail alert and you don't have to wait until they stumble over your post.

Alternative: with the pieces you still have, you can see how they are designed from slats with little cross braces. (I can tell on mine that the cross braces were modified until the boards were lying flat. None of them has a fully "standard" shape).

With a suitably large piece of cardboard (or, lacking that, some thin plywood, or even pieces of posterboard) you can cut out your own template, after raising it with some spacers that are approximately the dimensions of the surviving ones. Generally, the aim is to get the floorboards to lie flat, but in the cuddy mine always follow a very slight V shape, but much less than the V of the hull (the spacers are tapered away from the keelson).

Good luck, either way.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon May 29, 2017 2:56 am

That would be me. ;-P

Abaird62, just PM me your e-mail addy, and I'll send you the pdf I have. Yes, I have the board set to alert me of a new PM.

Just FYI, I drew these up a few years back based on a very loosely dimensioned photo somebody did earlier. Drew them up in AutoCAD just for fun. I had a DS2, so never made these myself from this drawing. I've sent them to a number of folks, but have never really heard back from any of them as to how much they helped them ...

GL, is there a way for me to just put these someplace on the board? There isn't really a "file section" so to speak, and I don't think pdf's are allowed in the gallery?

Gonna see if I can post the file to the DS FB group too.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 29, 2017 5:36 am

First, I've never tried it, but it should be possible to add an attachment to any post that is not an image. There will be some restrictions on max file size and file type, but I don't know what they are, so why don't you just try your PDF? (Look on the screen where you are typing your message for a tab called "upload attachment".)

If it works, we can move the post to a "sticky" topic, so it stays near the top.

Otherwise, if you get an error message, you can send me the file directly and I can host it elsewhere on this server (and we can link that location here).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon May 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Looks like it won't take pdf's. I get this error: The extension pdf is not allowed.

I'll email you the file GL.
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Cool, thanks for trying this out.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 29, 2017 4:58 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:.., I drew these up a few years back based on a very loosely dimensioned photo somebody did earlier. Drew them up in AutoCAD just for fun. I had a DS2, so never made these myself from this drawing. I've sent them to a number of folks, but have never really heard back from any of them as to how much they helped them ...

I've put them here: DS1-FloorBoards [PDF]

Generally they seem to agree with what's on my boat.

Differences: both rear and forward ones are '71 long (for a '63 DS1) and cut off square, not angled, but the inner slat on the starboard forward side is 1.5" short to clear the drain plug on the forward tank. (The keelson on a '63 DS1 does not connect to the tank, this is different for some other years which may explain the differences in the forward length.)

The widths of the slats are definitely not controlled better than about 1/16" on mine and the overall width of each of the four segments seems to fluctuate from the measurements in the plan. Aim for consistent narrow gaps between the slats (so you don't loose tiny things between them) and push the "slop" off to the side.

I'd suggest that people using these go and double check the total length from end of CB trunk to forward tank, and the max width between CB trunk and seats. (Also the the location of the 11" long cutout for the forward end of the seats should be verified.)

As for the feet: either mine have worn over the decades or they were filed down to fit - none of them looks precisely like these drawings, but the general scheme is the same. Just be aware that some adjustments may be needed.

Finally the paddle/boom crutch slot: not a design detail I would copy for a rebuild....
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon May 29, 2017 10:14 pm

I no longer have access to AutoCAD software, but I do still have the .dwg file. GL, if you think any of these dimensions need to/should be changed on the pdf, jeadstx still has access to AutoCAD. I could send him the .dwg file, and I'm sure he'd be willing to make the changes and re-pdf it. What say ye John? ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby jeadstx » Tue May 30, 2017 3:22 am

No problem. I have my own AutoCAD license. I can modify and re-PDF without a problem.

As Greenlake mentioned, the early DS I boats the keelson does not attach to the forward tank. On my 1969 DS I it does and the drain plug for the forward tank is on the side of the keelson. My friend David who just got a 1965 DS I has a keelson like Greenlake that doesn't connect to the forward tank, the drain plug is in the forward tank. Looking at pictures, the change appears to have occurred in 1966. David's boat came with floorboards and I'll have him send me pictures of his floorboards to show the variation. Also, on David's aft floorboards, only the port set have the slot for the "paddle boom crutch" to be inserted. Tim, your drawings are also missing the floorboards that go under the overhang in the stern.

Tim, I should be able to take your drawings and make both variants (pre-1966, post-1966).

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Tue May 30, 2017 7:33 am

Cool, I'll be happy to host whatever files you guys generate.

Correct about the slot being on the port side only (and, in my opinion it's been more of a gimmick and nobody should waste time on recreating that one unless the goal is a complete "retro" job (but then please also source the correct hardware (used) with the whale logo and don't use modern rope for lines :)

The thing in the back I call the "shelf"; and a very handy one it is.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Abaird62 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Thank You! I am starting on them this weekend. I do have he drain in the Keelson. So it is good to know that variant. So this week my plight is to find Mahagony.
Abaird62

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue May 30, 2017 1:41 pm

OK, I'll send you the file John. Thanks for "taking this over" so to speak!

I found the thread with the link to the dimensioned photos:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3198

and the link:

http://www.aisol.com/daysailer/floorboa ... _a_ds1.htm

Not really sure why I didn't include the stern "shelf" - I guess maybe because it seems so straightforward - but feel free to add them along with those variants. Also, looking again at the photos, I see that the slot is in fact on the port side. I do not know/remember why I drew the starboard side or why I put the slot on the starboard side - guess I figured it didn't matter which side it was on - and since the patterns would be mirrored for the other side anyway, I figured the person building could put the slot on whichever side they wanted, or omit it altogether. Again, many of the dimensions given on the photos don't "add up", and I had to "interpolate" in some cases.
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only