yet another DS I grenie!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

yet another DS I grenie!

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:04 am

hello all,
I am new to this forum and to the DS I....I just "rescued" a DS I hull #13256, sail#2313, for cheap.! The boat had some cracks on the rear end of the cuddy sides as well as in the f/g coaming of the cuddy. These I repaired by bonding a 1/2 CDX block to the inside of the cuddy with west system epoxy and then thru-bolting with 10-24 s/s bolts. So far seems to be holding, but I am yet to test it sailing.

The boat also had previously repaired damage to the hull stbd. side amidships, it apears to habe been well done. A little rot on the transom block (lower gudgeon) was carved out, dried off and a new red oak block 4"x1-1/2"x3/4" was epoxied in its place and covered with f/g cloth....

The self-bailer is missing...anybody recommend a make/model for its replacement? (otherwise it's getting a boat plug in its place)

The mast is-for the moment-one piece. I ordered a tabernacle from DR Marine. It had the original diamond struts &stays removed. The spreaders it came with are s/s and a little bent, but one of the cast aluminum brackets was busted: replaced with new HD spreaders and brackets from DR Marine as well.

The previous owner kept the jib to use in another boat; The mainsail is a Doyle, reefless (reefer boom). I obtained a brand new jib from Infinity Sails! The boat was at one point rigged for racing with guy hooks fwd of the shrouds, spinnaker blocks on stern deck, additional turning blocks, sheaves & cleats for spinnaker, pole, etc...if anybody has a spar/slightly used spinnaker please let me know.

Presently I am in the process of recovering the brightwork (coamings & thwart seats). Does anybody have specs for the old wood slat decking?

I hear these boats are a joy to sail and fast as all getup...I can't wait.
Cheers and great forum....lots of good info
Mike J
Li'l Maggie
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby holstein » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:44 am

Hello Mike,

Sounds like we have very similar models.
My hull number is 13001, built by Precision.

I'm curious to see how the previous owner rigged the spinnaker sheets.

Please post some pictures.

Thanks
Bill H
holstein

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm getting to the picture part...I don't think this boat has seen a spinnaker in a coupe of owners, but there are some mysteriously placed clam cleats on deck ???
cheers
MJ
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

pictures of il maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:44 pm

how she looked the day of the sale (location: Pittsfield NH)

For the most part it was just filthy:

the worst of the damage were a few cracks :

continues...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Some of my fixes:
1) rot on transom block (lower gudgeon)

and patching the cuddy side cracks:

not the prettiest of patches, but will work (I hope)...

with some elbow grease, the boat looks much better already, but she's old and tired.
On this shot you can see the strange clam cleat arrangement on the gunwale decks

Still got a ways to go before she's sail ready, but we're getting close:

DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Progress report: Li'l Maggie DS1 #2313

Postby Lil Maggie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Well, after a couple of weeks of elbow grease, some epoxy, s/s hardware and some paint, Li'l Maggie is just in need of new standing rigging (ordered though Intensity Sails) and some wind!...Here's a list of what I've done to it so far:
- Fixed cracks on cuddy sides and coaming
-Installed a jack @ aft end of cuddy deck to stiffen that area & prevent further cracking
-Cut out 4" inspection ports & replaced all the foam flotation with pool noodles
- Power-washed and vacuumed the whole boat
- Scraped, sanded & painted interior (Behr Basement & masonry paint, see how long it lasts)
-Installed a mast tabernackle (from DR marine)
-Purchased a jib sail from Intensity Sails
-Recovered all existing wood with boiled linseed oil, then sanded & varnished with Minwax spar varnish
-installed a boom traveler similar to Lollypop's and a 4:1 boom vang to a bail on aft pin of tabernackle
-filled every crack and screw hole with epoxy and painted over it....those interested in a visual can check this link out:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4326117273589.180994.1306883321&type=3

well that's all for now...a big thanks to all that posted in this forum: you have been of great help restoring Li'l Maggie to sailing condition

cHeers'
Mike J
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby PassingWind » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31 pm

That facebook doesnt work unless we are your friends
PassingWind

Postby Lil Maggie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 pm

PassingWind wrote:That facebook doesnt work unless we are your friends

oh yeah....sorry about that...I'll upload some pics for y'all soon
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:55 pm

DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 pm

received yesterday the new standing rigging, installed it and are now ready for a test sail....plan on heading out tomorrow...
cheers
Mike J
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby UCanoe_2 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Nice rescue, Mike! Your boat will respond well to all the love you are giving her!

Keep an eye on your red oak gudgeon backer, and make sure it stays well encapsulated with epoxy. Red oak is strong, but it is actually quite porus and not the most rot-resistant wood. I had some red oak thwarts in a canoe that was stored close to the ground. Even though they were well coated with polyurethane varnish, they have rotted away to dust. White oak heartwood, black locust, or even "poor man's teak" (pressure treated yellow pine) would last longer in this application.

Enjoy your new boat, and welcome to the forum!
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:11 pm

thanks for the welcome and yes, I am aware of the poor rot resistance of red oak...I saturated that piece with west system epoxy first, then filled the cavities around the old rotted section (added microfibers); glued it, pressed it in with a jack-and-wedge between transom and C/B trunk and put a layer of f/g cloth over the whole thing....

Anyway, we sailed her today for about 1-1/2 hrs in the light ENE winds off Little(Newcastle, NH) harbor...blowing 5-10 kts and beating up at about 3 1/2 kts with some sprints above 4!...had the wife and 2yr old so wasn't even pushing her hard. The veredict: a really nice, nimble little boat, easy to sail and quick in light airs! I see why the many old ones still around! ( I come from racing J-24's and cruising beasts). Reminds me of my dad's first real sailboat, a Rhodes 25....just a joy to sail
Here's a little video of Li'l Maggie's maiden voyage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRd5mtvLu7s

Cheers
Mike J.
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:28 pm

Another good day sailing today...Little harbor again. We made it form the boat ramp past the jetties in about 4 tacks..on the way back (reaching) we managed a stern wave in about 12 kts of wind, very puffy and shifty today...wind shifted again coming back in to the boat ramp (had to beat in)...tested the oar locks and mounts and they worked great even with 7' oars. the C/B pivot gasket leaked about 1/2 cups worth in 2 hrs of sailing...maybe just a tweak on the screws, eh?

took some more videos that will post later

Cheers
Mike J.
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:47 pm

DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

DS Greenie

Postby Shellback50 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm a complete novice and I bought a 67 DS that looks a lot like yours, i.e. Carolina blue.

If you can find some of the decking, we broke some of ours and we broke some of the cockpit trim.

I'm just joined this forum and I'm excited about getting our boat up and running.
Shellback50

Next

Return to Day Sailer I Only