yet another DS I grenie!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: DS Greenie

Postby Lil Maggie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Shellback50 wrote:Hi Mike,

I'm a complete novice and I bought a 67 DS that looks a lot like yours, i.e. Carolina blue.

If you can find some of the decking, we broke some of ours and we broke some of the cockpit trim.

I'm just joined this forum and I'm excited about getting our boat up and running.

Hey SHellback 50,

I too am pretty new at the DS, unfortunately, my boat came without floors and the coamings had been shaved down....all the wood was pretty dried out! I restored it with boiled linseed oil then sanded and applied 3 coats of spar varnish to them (sanding with 220 grit in between coats). If the mahogany in your boat is not rotted, you can piece it back together using wooden dowels and west system or similar epoxy....just be sure to sand and varnish the wood after repairing it.

Be sure to dig around this forum, there's lots of good info/tips....

Hope that helps and welcome to the DS!
You are gonna love it!

Cheers

Mike J.
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Like Mike said, you can glue things back together with epoxy. (For glueing, use the epoxy in the caulking cartridge with the mixer tip, by far the easiest to apply - SystemThree and West System each have that). When you glue with epoxy you do not clamp for pressure, just enough to keep the pieces connected.

Now, here come the details. With epoxy, you may not need dowels, in fact, I've glued together broken doors, new furniture, uprights on stair-railings without any dowels whatsoever, and had good success.

However, epoxy is sensitive to wood swelling from getting wet. What is normally a super-strong bond can just fail. What to do? Seal the wood. Especially for your wooden floors, take those apart completely and seal each piece on all 6 sides with epoxy (after sanding). SystemThree ClearCoat is formulated for that. 2-3 coats.

You can then glue together the pieces (as well as restore broken pieces, either by gluing fragments together or by filling missing gaps with some product such as SystemThree's SculpWood, which is like a modeling clay when mixed and can be sanded like wood when cured.

The original floor boards had nails. I would cut off the tips and glue them, shortened, into the existing holes, for looks only.

For any epoxy sealed wood you need to apply some paint or varnish as UV blocker, because epoxy is not UV stable. I like to use SystemThree's water-reducible Linear PU varnish. With the cross-linker added, it turns super hard, but doesn't seem to crack. I did the thwarts on my DS with that over epoxy and for the first time, I've been enjoying season after season of maintenance free wood.

You can also do the coamings the same way, however, even with epoxy and LPU, it's not that hard from something to rub through to the wood. In my case, it was the tiller, that, after a repair, dragged unnoticeably and rubbed through to the wood.

In that situation, an oil-based solution is a reasonable alternative, because it can be touched up so easily. Cetol or something like that. However, you'll need to be after it all the time. But if you're the kind of guy who whips out a brush or rag at a moment's notice, that might suit your style. Coamings, and or thwarts, but not for floor boards - they will be immersed and abused, and a more durable treatment would seem advisable (especially if you have used epoxy as glue).

My only regret when it comes to woodwork is that I didn't have experience with the epoxy method when I last gave the floor boards a full overhaul. It was a lot of work, and it didn't last. Next time (which is overdue) I'll know better.

What does not work at all is to apply PU varnish (any maker) onto wood that's not been epoxy sealed. Moisture will get under the varnish and it will peel, or crack, or both.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby brucybaby » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:06 am

Mike,
Nice job on getting the boat back into shape and thanks for sharing your videos. Isn't it funny how once you put a little sweat equity in these little boats and feel the breath of life come back to them, you're hooked. Enjoy!
Bruce
'71 Oday DS2-Dashaway: Hull# 25873 Class# 4842
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =slideshow
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A
brucybaby

Postby Shellback50 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 am

Here's a picture of my boat (assuming that I post this correctly). Got it last year and haven't been able to put it in the water but soon, very, very soon.[/img]
Shellback50

Postby Lil Maggie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Shellback, your boat (from the picture anyway) seems very well kept and shiny...waaaay shinier than mine, which served as a chipmunk hotel for several years before I got hold of it....
Well worth putting the effort on repairing your wood. You will have a hard time and mucho $$$ finding good quality mahogany for replacements.

Greenlake, I suggested dowels for alignment purposes...that and/or cookies can come in handy.

I don't have much experience with system3 (a West System man), but sounds wonderful...how do they compare pricewise?

And tempted as I am to just buy a new chute, does anyone hava a spare/old/"slightly used" chute they're willing to let go for cheap??? pls let me know
thanks for all your comments

Cheers
Mike J
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby adam aunins » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm

I could be wrong but I thought that a few years ago someone made a PDF file with the blueprints for making the floor boards for the DSI. I did a very quick search and did not come up with anything but someone with a better memory than me may be able to find it.
adam aunins

Postby jeadstx » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 pm

There were some DS1 floor board pictures with dimensions I saved images from a couple years ago that I got from this site. I had another small boat with similar floor boards needing rebuild and I was looking for ideas. I may still have the files somewhere if they can't be located on the site.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Link to Floorboard specifics

Postby Marv Irwin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Here is the link to the floorboard stuff: http://www.aisol.com/daysailer/floorboa ... _a_ds1.htm

Have fun!

Marv
Marv
Marv Irwin

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Lil Maggie wrote:Greenlake, I suggested dowels for alignment purposes...that and/or cookies can come in handy.

When building furniture, I've used short nails with their heads snipped off for that purpose. Anything to prevent things from drifting while the glue sets.
Lil Maggie wrote:I don't have much experience with system3 (a West System man), but sounds wonderful...how do they compare pricewise?

West System 105 and SystemThree "General Purpose" resin (to take a somewhat random example) retail for essentially the same price (for resin only) at my local outlet. Other formulations may vary, but is seems that prices are in the ballpark. System Three emphasizes pre-formulating their epoxies based on the specific application, rather than letting the user add additives (e.g. to thicken). (Most of) their formulations are also blush free, which is nice.

I've generally had good experiences with whatever of their products I've tried, that's why I recommend them.
Last edited by GreenLake on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:44 pm

That was me.

I made full scale drawings of the DS1 floorboards, based on the aforementioned link above. They are autocad drawings, but I can also supply them as dimensioned pdf's, or I can send you patterns plotted out on .010 manila. Your choice. I did them as a service to the DS community, cuz I could, and don't charge for them. Just let me know what format you'd like them in. I've sent a few sets to a few folks, and they say that they fit just fine ...

... and I'm not even a DS1 guy! (DS2 - The Red Witch)
TIM WEBB

Postby Lil Maggie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:40 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:That was me.

I made full scale drawings of the DS1 floorboards, based on the aforementioned link above. They are autocad drawings, but I can also supply them as dimensioned pdf's, or I can send you patterns plotted out on .010 manila. Your choice. I did them as a service to the DS community, cuz I could, and don't charge for them. Just let me know what format you'd like them in. I've sent a few sets to a few folks, and they say that they fit just fine ...

... and I'm not even a DS1 guy! (DS2 - The Red Witch)

Ooh! I'll take a set...pdf is fine with me, I'll send you my email vial PM
cheers
Mike J
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:40 am

thanks for the drawings Tim, I should be able to pull measurements from the link posted above and marry the two together (had some training in drafting so this shouldn't be difficult for me)...plan to get going on the boards this winter so still got plenty of time!

By rough estimates looks like one would need 8-6' 5/4 boards of phillipine mahogany(7 of them sawn to 5/8", the 8th for the feet), 5" wide to do the job...

Cheers
Mike J
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:12 pm

No prob!

Yeah, I drew the patterns from the dimesions on the link, so it should be easy enough to marry the two. There were a few places where the measurements didn't quite jive, so I "averaged".

When I get a chance I'll dimension that pdf ...
TIM WEBB

Postby Lil Maggie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Took Li'l Maggie out today on my first solo sail on a Daysailer....all I can say is aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!...that was great!
Was doing between 4-5 knots on light (5-10 kts) winds with a few puffs, where I got up to 6 kts...had to hike out on a few puffs on the beat (so coldn't quite see the reading on the GPS, but man! these little boats move!...I passed a Pearson 30 on a beat!

Stay tuned for pictures

Mike J
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:45 pm

pics from today's solo sail and more here:
http://daysailer.org/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=2003
Last edited by Lil Maggie on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only