DS 1 topping lift

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: DS 1 topping lift

Postby Windrider » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:47 pm

I have been cruising sail boats for thousands of miles from 23 to 34 ft and would not be without a topping lift. I use it for boom support at dock, supporting a boom tent, keeping the boom out of the way when dropping and flaking the main after a sail, and especially when reefing. The system I have always used is a fixed length of small diameter low stretch cord, 1/8 " Kevlar on my DS1. I set the length so it clears the roach under all sailing conditions but no longer than required. It was one of the first things I added after purchasing "Sky Pilot" last spring.

Clark
Windrider

Re: DS 1 topping lift

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:10 pm

I agree. I had a fixed-length TL on TRW for a long time, and was finally convinced too change it to an adjustable one. Main reason was to facilitate quick and easy boom tent setup. Went from clear-coated galvanized cable to 1500 lb spectra. Has a long fingertrapped section on the boom end that takes only seconds to adjust. I keep meaning to get pix of the setup, but every time I've been out lately, daylight has been in short supply ... ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only