Resurrection help

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Resurrection help

Postby mikea803 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:50 pm

Ok guys (and gals), I need some help. I have a 1984 Spindrift DS 1 (Hull No. 11803) that I'm trying to get back in the water. It was given to me and I sailed it a few times ages ago, but it's been on the hard for years. While stored at the "yacht" club, it appears some equipment was liberated by what I hope was a desperate sailor. From looking at the Rebel/Spindrift manual, I think what I'm missing is a block with a Becket, a block, and the main sheet block. My knowledge of the jargon is limited, to say the least. I guess the main sheet block is what attaches to the fitting on the CB trunk. The manual shows a traveler block, but I don't think my boat has a traveler. There are two bales on the boom. Can anyone point me to pictures or diagrams of what I'm missing. Maybe even details (make/model no.) of what I need. Also, after reading the forums, I'll be cleaning it with Softscrub with bleach. Any ideas on how to cleans the sheets and halyards? Thanks ever so much, Mike.
mikea803

Re: Resurrection help

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:29 pm

You can throw sheets and halyards in the washer. You may need a mesh bag or a pillow case, but I've not bothered with either (in a front loader) and not gotten excessive tangles. Wouldn't risk the same with an agitator. Been a while, because I updated the running rigging instead of washing it last time around Forgot what detergent I used before, but didn't use fabric softener then and things came out fine.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Resurrection help

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 pm

For the blocks, you might check out the listing at D&R Marine. They carry parts that work for DS. However, there are other places that sell equivalent blocks, so you might want to shop around. http://www.drmarine.com/categories.asp?cat=64.

For the mainsheet block, there are different designs. There are those where the sheet has to be moved down to uncleat. These can be difficult to use in situations where you want to work the sheet without cleating it. (The design is "self-cleating" which is not what you want when you are out in blustery conditions and need to dump the mainsheet at a moments notice when a gust hits).

You may also check out designs that incorporate a "ratchet block". (Alternatively you can replace one or more of the other blocks with ratchet blocks). A ratchet block will turn in one direction only, allowing easy tensioning, but resisting the line in the opposite direction - thus providing some (partial) holding power that makes it easier to hold the sheet without cleating it.

One flavor of ratchet block is the auto-ratchet. Here, the ratchet feature does not engage until there's a certain pull on the sheet. That way, you don't find yourself disengaging the ratchet manually in light conditions. I have one of those for the block on the underside of the boom right above the CB (Ronstan 55mm) works well for me.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only