Day Sailer 1 Centerboard Question - It's Hollow?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Day Sailer 1 Centerboard Question - It's Hollow?

Postby tedwardo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:34 am

Hello,
Another new Daysailer 1 owner here. I'm in the process of refurbishing my 1967 Daysailer. Just took the centerboard off to inspect it and found it is fiberglass and hollow. There is a small hole drilled on one side about a foot from the tip of the board and I found that the centerboard was about half filled with water. Is this a common design? I'm assuming that the intention is to increase ballast slightly?

Thanks,

Ted
DS-1 2677
tedwardo

Re: Day Sailer 1 Centerboard Question - It's Hollow?

Postby GreenLake » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Ted,

welcome to the forum! We just had the "hollow centerboard" question. So if you look around the posts from this summer you should be able to find more information. Allowing water to get into the CB displaces air, so you don't get the hollow space to provide unwanted buoyancy, but ballast would have to be heavier than water.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Mike Gillum » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:44 pm

The O'Day DS fiberglass centerboard was built using two halves with steel rebar reinforcements that you don't want to get wet as the rebar will eventually rust causing it to expand and eventually force the replacement of the centerboard.
A fiberglass centerboard came with #2772 that leaked and after every regatta I would remove the centerboard and spend the next couple of weeks slowly draining the water from inside it by hanging it dip down from a downspout and tilting it each morning until it was dry.
Never found the leak and assumed there was a gap in the seam around the perimeter of the centerboard that only opened when the centerboard was under load racing?
Mike Gillum DS #2772
Mike Gillum

Postby bnnauti » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks for the info Mike. Is there any way to repair a seam that is just starting to separate at the tip?
bnnauti

Postby Mike Gillum » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:40 pm

If you can identify the location then I would carefully pry/spread it apart to be able to be able to sand/file both sides of the seam, coat both sides of seam with clear WEST Epoxy, quickly mix up a batch of "Peanut Butter" using remainder of clear WEST Epoxy, WEST 406 Colloidal Silica & WEST 407 Low-Density Filler, spread the "Peanut Butter" into the opening, remove the spreader device, clamp, wait 24-72 hours for the "Peanut Butter" to cure, sand off whatever remains on the exterior and then pray that it solved the problem!
Mike Gillum

Postby bnnauti » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52 am

Thank you for the point-by-point description. Think I'll pray before and after.
bnnauti

Postby Mike Gillum » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:02 pm

If at first you don't succeed there's always more WEST Epoxy & Filler to hopefully solve the problem.
Or you break down and either buy or build a centerboard that isn't hollow.
Good luck either way!
Mike Gillum

Return to Day Sailer I Only