centerboard stuck day sailer 1 1962

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

centerboard stuck day sailer 1 1962

Postby PeteVandall » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 pm

My centerboard is stuck and lever barely moves. What would be causing that and is it an easy fix? Is it simple to remove the centerboard and see what the problem is? After taking out a bunch of crud the centerboard looks to be favoring one side of the trunk than the other. Warped? Any advice would be helpful. I dont want to have to swim underneath and yank it down. Thanks!
PeteVandall

Re: centerboard stuck day sailer 1 1962

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:27 am

Just to rule this out: the CB locks in the up position with a pawl. You haven't accidentally locked it for the first time?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: centerboard stuck day sailer 1 1962

Postby rnlivingston » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:28 am

Hi Peter

I usually careen the boat by bringing it to shore, putting some cushions under the side and pulling the boat over using the main halyard. Remove the three bolts holding the plate over the lever, pull the lever out and pull the centerboard out. It is highly unlikely the board is warped. Some of these old boards used rebar as a stiffener and if the steel has rusted, it could expand. But I suspect something has gotten up in the trunk and it just needs to be cleaned out.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Return to Day Sailer I Only