Heading off to purchase Hull #02?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Heading off to purchase Hull #02?

Postby SailinMick » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:19 pm

I have in my sights and plan on purchasing in about 30 minutes (for a whopping $180.00, on a trailer) apparently hull #02 made by Marscott(sp?) for O'Day in 1958, although the title reflects 1st registration in 1959, and here's the bad news...
1-It has no seats (of any kind)
2-It has no sails (just s shredded, apparently original, circa 1958 nylon sailcloth rag which denotes the "D" w/"S" overlapping and the singular numeral "2" on same, discovered this bad boy in a neighbors' yard, and he'd acquired it from a salty guy nearby who I haven't talked to yet, who's either the 1st or 2nd owner. Plan on chasing down all the vitals once the title is in hand (which by the way says: "Sailboat/Daysailer" and that's it for vessel 'type'.
3-Stays/Shrouds are unravelling, not a worry.
4-Mast is Keel Stepped, and there's the vintage OB Bracket on the stern, including ONLY the section that attached to the stern. Ergo, the portion that slid in to that securing 'lock' assembly on the transom is long gone and probably in Davey Jones Locker (who knows, maybe w/a small OB attached somewhere? =;>) )
5-there are about a dozen inspection plates in storage compartments down the port & stbd amidships, filled with small pieces of foam...somebody was being veeerrry creative.
6-I have some 'left over' 16' "Rebel" sails that I hope to make work during the interim before seeking out custom made (Likely Johnson Sails, they have a Loft relatively close in St.Petersburg) jib, genoa, main & spinny.

I've restored well over 150 sailing vessels in this lifetime to date, and while we own a couple 'biggies' (Kelt 9m Sloop mfg. in France & Pearson Classic P39), this little DS IS Exactly what I was looking for to putz around on the River not far from our dock and not sweat draft restrictions, manatee hull speed restrictions, and a fair distance to the Gulf of Mexico (& then again, it DOES come with a trailer, just not 1 I'd trust for extended distances), the river we live on moves quite well downstream and I have a couple 2hp 2 stroke Nissan/Tohatsu's as well as a trolling motor and a 5hp Honda 4 stroke (relatively late model) that should all make potentially excellent kickers.....the problems is:
How do I Mount it? My initial repairs will all be structural (I use state of the art klegecell, coosa board, starboard, and epoxies every where I can to lighten & strengthen, although it appears that will only be the case on the bulkhead for the foam in the bow (which currently doesn't exist)?

Any suggestions on where I can pick up the original section of the OB Bracket that drops on to the slots on the transom for mounting a kicker?

I took 1 look and nearly fell out of my car (at 1st glance I thought it was a Pearson Hawk, which I've been searching fruitlessly for, in a venture that totals over 15 years), although on secondary inspection realized quickly that this had to be a DS. I plan on full restoration and am guessing these probably had wooden (mahogany?) Bench seats originally?

I hope to take this boat completely back to original condition, and will have a slew of photos documenting all follow up (or a link to same elsewhere on the net) so that anyone interested can watch the process; just know, this one isn't likely to be "for Sale" for quite a few years to come.
Film at 11,
(all input and suggestions always appreciated)
-M
Only posting here because the weather must stink for messing about boats today!
Southerner by Birth, Sailor by the Grace of God (& a thoughtful Grandfather)
SailinMick

Re: Heading off to purchase Hull #02?

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Sorry, no suggestion on OB bracket. Are you sure it is original?

When you've done the transaction, you could "register" your boat in the History section of this forum, there's a thread where you can leave boat name, date, model and owner name. Would be cool to have #2 on that list.

There's also, I think in this DS1 section, a thread on DS1 design changes. As you find out more, you might update the spreadheet there with the early design features.

What I have seen of early DS1 in pictures looks indeed like wooden "park bench" style seats. I don't have ready links, unfortunately.

Good luck with purchase and restoration!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:31 pm

The motor mount sounds very familiar to what is on Tim Webb's DSII. Although he only has part of it as well. I have a motor mount on my Beetle Boat Swan that I have seen on early O'Day boats built by Marscot. The Beetle Boat Company was bought by Marscot.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:36 pm

SailinMick, is this what you have on there?

If so, you could make this:
(I've since replaced the PVC board with a thicker composite lumber piece.)

Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby SailinMick » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:07 pm

GreenLake wrote:Sorry, no suggestion on OB bracket. Are you sure it is original?

When you've done the transaction, you could "register" your boat in the History section of this forum, there's a thread where you can leave boat name, date, model and owner name. Would be cool to have #2 on that list.

There's also, I think in this DS1 section, a thread on DS1 design changes. As you find out more, you might update the spreadheet there with the early design features.

What I have seen of early DS1 in pictures looks indeed like wooden "park bench" style seats. I don't have ready links, unfortunately.

Good luck with purchase and restoration!

Thanks GreenLake,
I'd already reviewed the "History" spreadsheet and will be adding our newest acquisition this evening; had reviewed the design changes (although they didn't help much, this one is before ANY of the changes best I can tell), and I'm hoping to research and find a few of those early DS1 Pictures of those interior 'bench seats' so I can return this one to it's original glory (along w/hidden snaps underneath that secure the nice custom cushions I'll make or have made). Thanks for the well wishes, all I need is time and dry weather (both are usually in short supply this time of year down here).
-M
SailinMick

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:12 pm

This is VERY cool! I look forward to reading and seeing pictures of your restoration. Thanks for posting!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby SailinMick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:25 am

TIM WEBB wrote:SailinMick, is this what you have on there?

If so, you could make this:
(I've since replaced the PVC board with a thicker composite lumber piece.)

Hi John,
Thanks for the input (& I Think I've figured out how to import photos) and close to brilliant idea/remedy/jury rig;
Here's a picture of the transom portion of the bracket, straight on, standing aft of the transom.

Your fix of extended bolts through the same holes as the mounting bracket already attached, is my plan w/some s/s bolts & laminated starboard.
Will still continue to seek out the bracket that slides in to the lock plate pictured. 1800
Now that I've figured out how to add the photos to the postings, the pics of it "as is" are to follow; yep, it's pretty brutal, however it's as old as I am (and if 1958 Even OLDER) and I'm no stranger to total makeovers (when it comes to boats that used to float, anyway =:>) )

"Be Afraid, be VERY Afraid"
(Quoting the black knight from Monty Pyton's Search for the Holy Grail: )
"Nah, no worries, it's merely a flesh wound I tell ya, just a scratch" (as blood squirted across the screen from the 2nd dismembered arm fm. his torso)
SailinMick

Postby SailinMick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:45 am

K.C. Walker wrote:This is VERY cool! I look forward to reading and seeing pictures of your restoration. Thanks for posting!

K.C.,
Glad You think so,
I look at it as about 200 hours of hard work, and it's much like mining for diamonds, emeralds, or other precious stones;
they look like c-r-a-p when initially uncovered, and any fool who tells ya: "it just needs a Good Scrubbin'" truly has no clue what the heck he's talking about.

K.C. I got it home last night, am swapping trailers tomorrow morning (putting it on a much more appropriate one for all the impending work, then washing and scrubbing,
then sanding, and sanding, and sanding some more...until down to gel coat and original glass.
Then priming (prekote) and probably 3-4 coats of Interlux Brightsides;
White with Yellow Trim and Light Grey non-skid (which will match the piping in the white cushions I have planned, over the teak benches and removable sole slats).

If anyone has tips on/sources for, missing hardware (this one is missing plenty...multiple bronze fittings are gone w/only holes remaining; then there's the existing hardware that's been ground down to 'nothing'...this will be fun indeed. Labors of love are the 'pursuit of happiness'. I'm guessing more than a few readers have been where I'm going, aren't strangers to the process, and will appreciate where this bad little girl is gonna go from where she is. (soon to bear the name of "Bethesda"...not for the city in MD; rather for the scriptural healing waters)

The initial "Before" pictures follow:1796179817971799
-M
SailinMick

Postby jeadstx » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:31 pm

I recently bought some used early cleats and chocks (all in good shape) from Stuart Marine that came off of early Rhodes 19's. The fiberglass Rhodes 19's date back to the same time as the early Day Sailers. Stuart might be a source for early style hardware.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Postby jeadstx » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Also, the Rhodes 19 and the Day Sailer 1's have similar cockpit trim wood. Stuart would have that also.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:27 pm

SailinMick wrote:Hi John,
Thanks for the input (& I Think I've figured out how to import photos) and close to brilliant idea/remedy/jury rig;
Here's a picture of the transom portion of the bracket, straight on, standing aft of the transom.

Your fix of extended bolts through the same holes as the mounting bracket already attached, is my plan w/some s/s bolts & laminated starboard.
Will still continue to seek out the bracket that slides in to the lock plate pictured.

"Be Afraid, be VERY Afraid"
(Quoting the black knight from Monty Pyton's Search for the Holy Grail: )
"Nah, no worries, it's merely a flesh wound I tell ya, just a scratch" (as blood squirted across the screen from the 2nd dismembered arm fm. his torso)

"NONE SHALL PASS! I'm an enchanter - there are those who call me ... Tim?"

I'm Tim, not John, and I used galvanized bolts, but if SS works for you, go for it ... ;-P

They do not extend through the existing mounting holes; rather, they are 10" carriage bolts that are set into the slots on the bracket. The reason for the PVC spacers is that the threads on the bolts don't go all the way to the heads. It seems that you could do something similar with the base mount (lock plate) you have, but you might want to look at a third "thrust support" at some point below the mount?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby Swashbuckley » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Oh, that one is going to need some love! Have fun and I am looking forward to following her recovery.
"Tiny Dancer" #6816
Learn Something New Every Day
Swashbuckley

Postby SailinMick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:04 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:-snip-
"NONE SHALL PASS! I'm an enchanter - there are those who call me ... Tim?"

I'm Tim, not John, and I used galvanized bolts, but if SS works for you, go for it ... ;-P

They do not extend through the existing mounting holes; rather, they are 10" carriage bolts that are set into the slots on the bracket. The reason for the PVC spacers is that the threads on the bolts don't go all the way to the heads. It seems that you could do something similar with the base mount (lock plate) you have, but you might want to look at a third "thrust support" at some point below the mount?

Dearest Tim,
My most humble apologies for calling You "John";
It was not meant to be any intentional slight (Heck, some of the nicest people I Know are named "TIM"! =:>) )

As for Your idea of sliding carriage bolts in to the slots in the bracket...it's ingenious, however I won't trust (this bracket base more than Your idea) the application. My plan was/is to run bolts (although Your idea of galvanized, which would be likely stronger than S/S, especially considering the torque & downward/sideward force of an outboard vs. a trolling motor, and their necessary overall length) through the same holes that secure the current bracket base, and cut starboard (or for that matter a 2x10/couple of laminated small pieces of Ext. grade plywood) and mount a 'custom bracket' in the same location, probably protruding 2-4" above the top of the transom, so the motor can be swung forward/raised when sailing, or not needed. I have a 5hp Honda (newer model) 4stroke that I was/am contemplating instead of a trolling motor so this will nd. to be a little 'beefy (& yep, I know the hull weight is nearly nada, however it's pretty easily doubled when I stuff 4 souls in the cockpit).

The little bracket base actually has 6 mounting screws, so I planned on using all of them, both top and bottom to secure the mounting plate.(or at least that's the 'plan' at present)
-M
SailinMick

Postby SailinMick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:12 pm

8)
Swashbuckley wrote:Oh, that one is going to need some love! Have fun and I am looking forward to following her recovery.

Well Swashbuckley,
Aren't You just the MASTER of Understatement!!!
(there's a REASON it was $180.00)
I've done this before (although mostly for the last 10-15 years on much larger vessels) & this not being my first rodeo I knew well exactly what I was/am getting in to.
As long as the weather holds, I'll be getting plenty done daily.
The smaller they are, the sooner they get completed (and dramatically less the cost of materials), and I aim to just take my time and turn it in to a real little jewel of workmanship.
Stay tuned, I'll post pictures as tasks are completed and the progress should be visible regularly.

Thanks for the additional inspiration, because love is all we have for them,
right? :wink:
-M
SailinMick

Postby Swashbuckley » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:44 pm

Yea, LOVE. Glad you have experience at this. However that removes the "I didn't know" from spousal conversations about money, time, mess. There is something special about bringing an old boat back to life. Mine was 'Free' so its going to need a lot of love too.
"Tiny Dancer" #6816
Learn Something New Every Day
Swashbuckley

Next

Return to Day Sailer I Only