daysailer shrouds

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

daysailer shrouds

Postby mcqmga » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi Guys,
Just purchased 1968 daysailer 1 - I need new shrouds - Anyone have a pair to sell or can anyone advise as to the best route to take - I'm concerned about whether I need turnbuckles or some method of adjustment - The ones on the boat do not adjust -seem to be standard size for tje boat - - Looks like the spreaders have been repaired and may not be the original length - Any advice? I am a beginner and not sure what I'm doing!!!

Bob
Atlanta
mcqmga

Re: daysailer shrouds

Postby rnlivingston » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi Bob

That vintage Daysailer probably has a mast jack to adjust the shrouds. You will recognize the mast jack by the threads on the mast step with a ring that can be screwed up and down. If you do not have one, then you will need shrouds with turnbuckles. Even though my 1966 Daysailer has a mast jack, I'm replacing the shrouds with ones with turnbuckles. I order all my parts from D & R Marine www.drmarine.com and they can tell what the standard size spreader is. If they look to be the same size, then they should be alright for now.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Re: daysailer shrouds

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Mast jacks are simple and convenient.

A mast jack looks like this:

You need something to insert into the small round holes on the bronze nut to turn it. On my boat whatever the original tool was is no longer, but what it came with was a hole punch, the blunt end of it fits perfectly. Lubricating the thread helps. If you use a mast jack, the replacement shrouds must be exactly the same length (ditto for the forestay if you ever replace it).

Spreaders are 21 1/4". Look around the forum for discussion of spreader issues. If you can get aluminum tubing with 1/2 to 5/8" OD, you can fashion your own, if need be.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only