motor mount

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

motor mount

Postby mcqmga » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:21 pm

- I am recent purchaser of DS1 - How was original "motor well" meant to accomodate outboard engine ? - Is there a brackett or some type of adaptation required or does outboard just clamp on transom wall ?
Bob
mcqmga

Re: motor mount

Postby UCanoe_2 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:40 pm

On my DS I, the outboard just clamps onto the aft wall of the well. The pads of the engine's clamps bear on two little fittings screwed to the inside of the well. The fittings keep the pads from sliding laterally. Probably someone else will come along soon to tell about a different arrangement on their boat. Pictures would help us answer your questions.
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:59 pm

I just clamp my trolling motor to the outboard well. I modified the clamp on the motor by adding a felt pad (as sold for furniture) so I don't scratch the transom. The clamp is held by two screws that push on circular plates. I wasn't sure whether the area was large enough to avoid excessive point loads so I glued a wooden strip to both of them, which then makes the transition between clamp and inside of the motor well.

That arrangement has worked well, other than the limitations imposed by having a relatively low powered motor.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby mcqmga » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:54 am

Guys- Not sure what either of you mean - - I'll try to get pics -But the " well" is just a box without any brackets or screws and a wooden plate for the cover.
The original rigging instructions caution use with out ' adaptor" - I assume clamping directly to transom is a no-no .
Bob
mcqmga

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:22 pm

I don't know about "orginal instructions". What I have described works for me and I see no evidence of damage. Now, I'm also not using this for a 9HP monster...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only