Bow storage doors

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bow storage doors

Postby mcqmga » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Guys - Recently purchased DS1 - PO provided the doors to the Bow storage area behind the cutty - How were these doors attached and have there been any " modifications" to the original method /design over time ?
Bob
Atlanta
mcqmga

Re: Bow storage doors

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Welcome to the forum, Bob.

You don't give the year for your DS1.

The method that I'm familiar with is the one on my '63 (sold to me as a '71).

The door panels do not have hinges. They do have an eye-strap on the back side. Similar straps are found in the bow compartment.

The two sets of eyes are connected by lengths of shock cord, as shown in the photo. (I didn't intend this to show the attachment of the doors, that's why most of the door is out of the frame). The cord will hold the doors in place - they mostly rest in the cut-outs where they get support, but the cords prevent them from falling out. To open, just pull away from the supports and the cords will let the doors slide down to where they are almost all the way out of the way. Not perfect, but a simple solution that works well for a space that's not constantly accessed.

If any of the eye fittings are missing, glue a small pad of wood (hardwood / plywood) to the door or hull and then screw in the fittings.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby mcqmga » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:02 pm

Greenlake - I have a 68 DS1- I purchased in July and yet to sail her ( Hull # in 14000's ?)- I have posted several questions on DS.org and all replies have been very thorough and helpful in my getting " shipshape" - One of my " doors" is set up as you describe - but I thought it might have been a homemade apparatus - What is "shock" cord ?
My history with sailing was a sunfish on Lake lanier , Georgia. I had never sailed and wanted to see if I enjoyed the experience. needless to say , I did! I wanted the next step( to take wife and teach her the freedom and joys of sailing ) so research led me to daysailer - I enjoy "classic" designs in many pursuits and endeavours so DS 1 with it's wood combings and floorboards provides that type of " classic" design and history . -( I recently restored 62 MGA mark 11)- My boat is in good shape as PO did very good job of storing and maintaining it -
When I have pics I'll post - Loking forward to fall sailing and hope to join the Florida 120 challenge in the spring - assuming I am prepared to do so -
I want to thank everyone for their help to this point and look forward to "castoff"

Bob
Atlanta
mcqmga

Postby jeadstx » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Shock cord is the stretchy cord you find on tie downs.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:09 pm

If you don't have an easy source of the small diameter shock cord, just get one of those minuscule (short and thin) bungee cords. They are about the right length. Eventually the clips will rust, but you'll get a few years service out of them.

Before the introduction of the HIN in the early 70s the builders' plaques used to report two numbers. The 'hull' number (which counted all hulls of a given builder, not just for a given model) and the 'class' (or 'sail') number, which is what goes on the sails of a boat and is unique for each class of boats. Your class number should be in the 2000's somewhere with a '68, but unless you have original sails or a surviving plaque, you would have no way of knowing as registration certificates may not have recorded that number.

Mine had the wrong year (I presume because the actual age of the boat preceded a change in record keeping in the state) but they entered the sail number.

As regards your plans...

Take it one step at a time. Make sure you are comfortable and relaxed on the boat and can handle common adverse situations with aplomb before inviting any newbies to join you. Not everybody has the same innate response to being on the water and out of their depth - so they may need you to be really competent and mastering the situation or they won't come back.

So far I've only found one species of human who immediately clamor for higher winds and taller waves far in excess of their ability to handle them: teenage boys. :D

I've had the pleasure to meet more than one woman who is absolutely gung ho about sailing, and I even know one guy lucky enough to have married one of them. An imbalance in enthusiasm seems more common, though, and I'd say if you can interest your wife in joining you, you're ahead of the average. Don't screw it up :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby mcqmga » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:22 pm

Good advice - I will heed.....

Thanks again for everyones input !

Bob
Atlanta
mcqmga

Return to Day Sailer I Only