19'11" Daysailer, frayed centerboard line

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

19'11" Daysailer, frayed centerboard line

Postby Guest » Wed May 16, 2001 1:31 pm

Easy job, I've been reading. I believe I can do the job with the boat in the water. While underwater, how does the line attach to the centerboard, is it a knot or a clamp?

Scott Aldinger (kldeshields-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu May 17, 2001 3:27 pm

Do you have a Day Sailer I, or a Day Sailer II? The DS I has a lever-operated centerboard and no lines. On the DS II, no it can not be done with the boat in the water, well..not easily! The centerboard needs to be removed from the boat to access the lifting cable which is attached to the top of the cb by a stainless steel strap. The line that pulls the board down could possibly be replaced in the water, but the centerboard will still need to be partly removed from the boat to access the knot that secures the line into the board. If this is the first time that the line has been replaced, or if the hole was puttied back over when the line was replaced....you will need to chip the putty out before untying the knot. Unless you can hold your breath for a long time (or have gills?) this job will require scuba gear. So, if I was doing this job....I'd do it with the boat hauled out, and either raised up on saw horses or tipped on her side against a wall.
ps: The DS is 16' 9" long.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:40 am

It sounds to me like you have a centerboard Rhodes 19, given the measurement lenghth. They look almost identical to the DSI, but the Rhodes is bigger. (The Rhodes also has an option of a fixed keel or Centerboard)I grew up sailing a Rhodes, but it was the keel version, so I doubt I can help you much, but you might contact Stuart Marine, they make the current version of it.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 17, 2001 9:36 pm

the RHODES 19 is 19' 2" long, as is the Mariner (same hull), but does that sound like your boat? The R19 has a cuddy like the DS, but the mast steps thru the deck rather than the cuddy top (on the O'Day, the ones made by Spindrift, and later by Stuart, have a longer cockpit. the cuddy was moved forward a bit and the mast thus steps thru the cuddy top.) Check out the Rhodes 19 Class Association web site, as well as Stuart Marine.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only