Spindrift mast needed

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spindrift mast needed

Postby TimCentralOR » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:33 pm

I need a replacement mast for the 1984 Spindrift DS1 I recently bought and am restoring. The original is broken in two. Anyone have a line on a used mast, or even where to find the appropriate aluminum extrusion? I'm in Central Oregon, so I also wonder how to ship such a long item. Thanks!
TimCentralOR

Re: Spindrift mast needed

Postby TimCentralOR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:17 pm

I ordered a new mast extrusion from Dwyer for about $450, plus $250 shipping to OR. I also needed some replacement parts and rivets to put the hardware from the old mast onto the new one. It was pretty straight forward to assemble the new mast, paying attention to exact locations and orientations for all the parts. I think I got it all right, but won't know for sure until spring when I take it out for a sail.

What I thought was a disaster - a broken mast, turned out to be a very expensive inconvenience rectified by a couple days work after an anxious three week wait for parts delivery, and a pile of cash. Live and learn.
TimCentralOR

Return to Day Sailer I Only