bow flotation tank leaks

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

bow flotation tank leaks

Postby hales2 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:44 pm

I restored my '68 DS last year, installed inspection ports in the 3 flotation chambers and inspected all 3 recently. The front chamber had about 6" or so of water. Anyone know where that water is coming from?? I cannot believe it is just condensation, the hull was thoroughly painted and is fine, so maybe somehow water is coming through the centerboard housing area??
hales2

Re: bow flotation tank leaks

Postby jeadstx » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Do you possibly have the old flotation tank drain open that could be allowing water in. The only other thing I could think of would be screw holes from the bulkhead leaking. I don't have a DS1, but I have a Rhodes 19 with similar construction and those would be my thoughts. I'm sure someone with a DS1 might have a better idea.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Well, when I refinished my hull I found a spot where some PO had covered a 1/2" hole in the hull (at the waterline, no less!) with some gooey substance that I was able to push in with a finger :shock: :shock:

The point is, unless you've really verified it, there's a chance that the hull itself isn't watertight. Until I did the work, I did not find this, it had been nicely painted over. I think that the caulk or whatever it was, was still holding the water out, but it was only a matter of time.

With a hair dryer (set on cold) you should be able to test whether the tank is sealed. Work some adapter between dryer and inspection port from a sheet of plastic and duct tape. Turn on. Check all surfaces with soapy water (inside and out).

(Just in case the hair dryer is able to create so much pressure that it exceeds what the tank can hold, put a flap in the adapter as a bypass. That will relieve any overpressure and allow some air to stream past the dryer motor for cooling. You don't want to inadvertently blow apart a seam in the tank or have to explain to your better half why the hair dryer died)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jpclowes » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:39 pm

It could also be rainwater coming in through screw holes and fittings on the foredeck, or if there is a bow eye, a small leak around the fitting for that.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:21 pm

On my '63 DS, the flotation tank only reaches half-way up. If that was the same in '68, then any water coming in via the deck or bow fittings would have to enter the tank separately. If there is a crack along the hull, or in the top surface of the tank, water might run into it that way, once it finds its way below decks. However, normally that should be sealed.

Therefore my suggestion to check for such leaks with (slight) overpressure and soapy water.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only