A DS1 in Australia

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

A DS1 in Australia

Postby DSGregLS » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:37 pm

I live on the East coast of OZ 100 miles south of Brisbane. I have recently purchased a DS1, although it was sold to me as a DS2. No probe, it's in good condition and ready to sail. However I am confused about several of its characteristics. Perhaps someone can explain. Firstly it has moulded seats with bungs, a motor well on the aft deck and gunnel rubber strips that terminate at the end of the side deck, not halfway across the transom. A DS2 I thought.
But then it has a visible CB pin that has been glassed over it no lever. The CB is a slab of metal, definitely not hollow but it is raised by a line that comes up through the aft end of the CB case and goes forward to a pair of triple pulleys attached to the top of the mast post. No haul down for the CB, just up and its heavy.
It has blue decks and white hull and no timber other than the removable floors. No ID plates anywhere and the sails are not from a DS as they have a strange Q16 insignia.
Does anyone know what I have? I've read every post about model ID's and looked at the spreadsheet but I can't make any sense of it.
Thanks, Greg
DSGregLS

Re: A DS1 in Australia

Postby jeadstx » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Pictures would help a lot.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Alan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:11 am

The boat sounds familiar, or at least some of the design characteristics, notably the metal centerboard with an uphaul cable through the top of the centerboard trunk.

The motor well was used on early DSIs, not on later DSIs or DSIIs, at least in the US.

I know I've seen a boat like this before - maybe on this forum, maybe on Australia's Craigslist. I suspect it's a uniquely Australian variation of the Daysailer.
Alan

Postby DSGregLS » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:27 am

Ofcourse Photos....I have attached 3 that were part of the advert when I purchased it and several I just took of the interior. Unfortunately I have just covered it all up awaiting a break in the weather to start some cleaning and re-furbishment. I removed one of the floors to show the stringers...do they confirm a DS1
As far as uniquely Australian....I am not aware of any manufacturing of DS's in Aust. In Japan, yes but much later models. I think this one must have been shipped to Aust, perhaps as the personal effect of a US citizen working out here. from what I have been able to find out in Australia there are only 2 others existing.
Thanks for the replies so far....as I commence the restoration, between sailing, I am sure I will have many more questions.
Cheers, Greg
ps Could only attach 3 photos....is there a way to attach more?
Attachments
o_day_day-sailer_1_fibreglass_yacht_sail_boat_19701387.jpg
o_day_day-sailer_1_fibreglass_yacht_sail_boat_19701387.jpg (220.13 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
o_day_day-sailer_1_fibreglass_yacht_sail_boat_19701385.jpg
o_day_day-sailer_1_fibreglass_yacht_sail_boat_19701385.jpg (8.24 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
o_day_day-sailer_1_fibreglass_yacht_sail_boat_19701383.jpg
o_day_day-sailer_1_fibreglass_yacht_sail_boat_19701383.jpg (251.83 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
DSGregLS

Postby GreenLake » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:46 am

Did the previous owner post here? This story of a metal slab CB sounds familiar somehow.

Ah, here we go: http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4248

Anyway, the CB clearly is not original, so trying to figure out whether it matches any particular DS model would seem to be pointless.

The DS2 has a double hull, while for the DS1, the edges of the molded seats are tabbed to the floor and the side of the single hull. So far, your description really sounds like a DS1 with a modified CB.

The DS1 also has the cuddy opening full-width, while the DS2 has a definite "frame" around its opening and a raised flat floor inside. You don't mention those, so in their absence, it again sounds more like a DS1 (very recent vintage DS1's have acquired some features of the DS2, judging from pictures, but I'd guess your boat is from the mid '60s somewhere - because later models had well-standardized plaques with model numbers.

If the metal plate CB is unique, then perhaps your's is the blue-ish boat from the other thread? If so, definitely not a DS2. The inside bottom of the cuddy matches no DS I have ever seen (or seen photos of), so then, what is it?

Inside of DS1 looks like Image or 620. The first one is a bit under water, but both show the squarish keelson, that is raised to the height of the (removable) floor boards or a bit higher, not a shallow rounded profile as in the picture in the earlier thread. I just see you posted pics of a blue boat. Is it the same as the one from the earlier thread (not the one from the image above)?

As for sails, if he wasn't racing I could understand that a PO might have taken non-standard sails and made them work, rather than go to the expense of sourcing new sails from the US. But it means you can't get a sail number off of them to identify your boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DSGregLS » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:34 am

Hi Green Lake, yes my boat is the one discussed by Brad. It was bought from a Peter by a Graham in jan 2013 and sailed just north of Brisbane at Clontarf. Obviously graham didn't get very far with his restoration because by early 2014 it had been once again sold to a Mark Harris who sailed it on a dam west of Brisbane.In that time the price plummetted from A$3,500 to A$1,000.
Now it has a permanent home and will be restored as a DS1,albeit with a BBQ plate for a CB. I will get some genuine sails as soon as I can afford. BTW how do I attach more than 3 photos.
Cheers Greg
DSGregLS

Postby GreenLake » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Interesting story.

For all about images, check the various threads under "website info". Perhaps put some (the best ones) into you "gallery"?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only