Wood Coaming Pattern

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Wood Coaming Pattern

Postby Wgfi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Thank you Greenlake. I will be able to do it with those numbers. I have not priced mahogany yet. I may find out why the PO used Hardy Plank.
Wgfi

Postby GreenLake » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:48 pm

There may be better alternatives than Hardy Plank, even if Mahogany is out of your price range...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Wgfi » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Don't worry I want the hardy plank off the boat as soon as possible.... however it will never rot.
Wgfi

Postby GreenLake » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:28 pm

There's that.

However, it's the charm of the original DS1's that they have this moderate amount of wood. Even if it takes a bit of effort to maintain.

Good luck in restoring.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Windtherapy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 pm

I have my teak off right now getting ready to strip it, and re-stain or just oil them. I could always trace the three pieces on paper and mail them to you.
Windtherapy

Postby Wgfi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:48 pm

The traces would be great. What kind of oil are you using? I was thinking the same thing. Have you used oil before?
Wgfi

Postby spoefish » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:59 pm

I think another thing to keep in mind is that many folks ended up cutting down the coaming as an alternative to the coaming cutting into the back of your legs when you are hiking out. My old O'Day DS-1 had full height coamings and were quite uncomfortable. My Current Spindrift DS-1 has coamings cut down nearly to the deck and are much more comfortable but don't keep the water out. I guess it depends on how you sail. And I am in the process of replacing the coamings on my DS-1 and think I will go with the higher ones. At 77 hiking out is not as much as fun. I would recommend if you can, stick with mahogany - once you have filled and stained it and have a few coats of varnish on it there is nothing like it. Or maybe it is that now that I am retired I have more time to fuss with that sort of thing. Cheers
"When you are playin' the banjo, everything is OK"

Steve Martin
spoefish

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only