Couple questions for my new to me DS1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Couple questions for my new to me DS1

Postby curifin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:32 pm

My carlins were pretty suspect, so I probed them with a scratch awl.. turns out the screw holes were merely wallowed out. I thought the epoxy in the screw hole trick was a bit much. Based on my furniture repair experiences, I redrilled the wallowed out screw holes oversized and set poplar dowels in wood glue, then sawed the dowels off with a pull saw and redrilled pilots for the SS coaming mounting screws. Solid and replaces the lost carlin material with a similar wood. I am sure the thickened epoxy would work too I would avoid pulling them unless the fiberglass lip was totally loose. Otherwise you will be doing a lot of repair. On my 70 DS the lip of the glass turns over the bottom of the carlins.... removal would be a major hassle.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:22 am

I'm familiar with both techniques. I assume you used TiteBond-III or some similar very waterproof wood-glue. The reason for the recommended epoxy-based repairs are attractive in that situation is that the screws represent a major point of ingress for moisture. So, it's not just structural considerations. Outdoor wood, especially if used on or near water just gets very different moisture cycling than indoor wood. Something to consider also when it comes to wood finishes. Many indoor finishes are too brittle; the moisture cycling will quickly crack them, allowing even more moisture to enter. In contrast, outdoor, and especially marine varnishes can be too soft for indoor use. (end of digression).

My carlins are wrapped on all 4 sides, but with only "token" laminate, that is, a single layer, on bottom and inside. If O'Day really changed this later to a full strength laminate on three sides, that would be interesting.

All these musings aside, I hope your repair will last you some time.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby BettaDuck » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi Eric, My 68 DS1 does NOT have a drain plug in the transom, just a threaded plug behind the centerboard case. My keel forward of the C/B case is hollow to allow the mast jack to fit in, there are 2 small drain holes at the aft end where it joins the C/B case. My keel was jammed full of leaves and dirt and crap that I had to clean out with some homemade tools- hope your repairs are coming along
BettaDuck

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only