Flotation, DS 1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Flotation, DS 1

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:56 pm

I was feeling pretty smug at the regatta before the last one - 2 very experienced Day Sailers capsized, we did not. Two weeks ago at the High Sierra Regatta, things changed! We went over in a puff, I was holding the sheet, but could not get if uncleated in time. Over we went. AND the boat kept rolling - completely turtle. We were on the CB, leaning out, trying to prevent it form going turtle, but it just kept on rolling. It was completely inverted. Then, just as unexplainably, it started to right itself. We managed to get it righted, bailed & finished the race (very last place - but it was matter of pride!). We now have more confidence that we can handle a capsize. Also, it's much nicer to go over in fresh water than salt! The only thing I can figure is that the mainsail must have rotated enough to allow it to right.

Steve Holmstrom
San Carlos, CA

Steve Holmstrom (RRVBob-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:30 am

Steve --

How old is your DS1? I've been told that mine (a 1962, class # 1247) is likely to turtle and hard to recover unless you have a heavy crew (something about the floatation and center of gravity when inverted). Do you have the three standard floatation tanks (one forward under the cuddy, and two under the bench seats), or have you added additional foam?

I'm currently restoring the boat (nothing left but bare fiberglass!) and have the opportunity to add more foam, but I'm not sure it's worth it after reading your story.

Thanks!
Greg

Greg Farley (farley-at-bio.fsu.edu)

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 20, 2001 8:33 pm

Interesting, I have Kelpie, Class #1221 (very close to the boat discussed). We flipped over at Huntington Lake this summer. Boat filled up, there was NOTHING we could do to prevent it from turning turtle (even my 200+ and my Wife's 130 pounds on the C.B.). Straight upside down. We had a nice look at the C.B. – it looked great! J Then, just as strangely, the boat righted itself (at this point we were standing on the hull). We jumped in, bailed & finished the race.

Steve Holmstrom, Fleet 4

Steve Holmstrom (RRVBob-at-aol.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only