Mast fell!! Repairs needed, help please!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast fell!! Repairs needed, help please!

Postby darts » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Greetings everyone! I am new to the forum and a new owner of a DS1. I recently raised the mast for the first time. The day after, we had high winds and while docked, one of my clevis pins failed, causing the mast to fall. When this happen, the tabernacle plate that is attached to the boat/cuddy ripped clean off, busting off all rivets that connected it to the boat/lower mast.

In addition, the tabernacle plate that connects to the mast itself is still connected, but it looks like it lost one of its rivets/pins during the fall as well, and now must be replaced.

I have attached photos.

Can anyone please tell me how and where I can find replacement rivets to repair it, and how to do this??? or how much it would probably cost to have this professionally done? Is there a way I can do this myself? If so, how does one put rivets on the holding??? Forgive my ignorance, as Im new to this boat. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Dave
Attachments
mast-2.jpg
mast still has 2 of 3 pins/rivets attached
mast-2.jpg (161.16 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
tabernacle from cuddy-2.jpg
1 rivet pin is still in place
tabernacle from cuddy-2.jpg (182.71 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
cuddy-2.jpg
where tabernacle used to be attached
cuddy-2.jpg (182.99 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
darts

Re: Mast fell!! Repairs needed, help please!

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:50 pm

darts wrote:...one of my clevis pins failed, causing the mast to fall. When this happen, the tabernacle plate that is attached to the boat/cuddy ripped clean off, busting off all rivets that connected it to the boat/lower mast.

You could call this outcome almost ideal. Rivets are easy to replace and should be the weak link.

darts wrote:In addition, the tabernacle plate that connects to the mast itself is still connected, but it looks like it lost one of its rivets/pins during the fall as well, and now must be replaced.

From your story it is no clear whether the tabernacle itself is damaged (e.g. bent) or simply had the rivet shear off.

If you bend / twist a tabernacle hinge, you can get a new one from DR Marine (google for contact). They stock DaySailer-specific parts.

darts wrote:.. how and where I can find replacement rivets to repair it, and how to do this??? or how much it would probably cost to have this professionally done? Is there a way I can do this myself? If so, how does one put rivets on the holding???

If you just need rivets, I'd almost say that you should get by with properly sized aluminum pop rivets from your hardware store. When the mast is in place, the load should not be on the rivets. So they shouldn't need to be much stronger than needed to hold the tabernacle and mast foot in place when you raise/lower the mast. That's way less force than you have when the shrouds fail and the whole long level acts at the end of the mast on those poor rivets.

For a pop or blind rivet, there are two dimensions you need: the combined thickness of the material that the rivet needs to "grip". That decides whether it's a short, medium or long one (dimensions on the package). The other is the diameter of the hole. Probably 3/16" but you want a more or less exact fit.

You put the two pieces together, stick the rivet in, and it will have a bit of stiff wire sticking out. The rivet gun (also a HW store item) will grip the wire, pull it out, and in the process expand the invisible end of the rivet. When that is tight enough, the wire will snap.

If they have a choice, go for the "better" rivet gun (stronger design, longer handles). There's no telling when you'll need to do another rivet job on your boat (or a friend's boat) and you can even dream up projects after you see how easy it is.

I don't think you'd want stainless steel rivets. Having the rivet as a "weak" link is a design feature, in my view. Otherwise the damage to the mast foot/tabernacle is likely greater next time. No rivet will hold a mast up when the stay comes undone - the lever arm is too long.

For the same reason, I think you can get away with an open end rivet and one that uses an aluminum mandrel (that bit of stiff wire). While supposedly a bit weaker, matching mandrel material to rivet body cuts down on corrosion issues. Not insignificant on a boat, perhaps a bit less if you sail fresh water only.

That said, this is the kind of project where you dip your toes in (mostly lukewarm water, so to speak) when it comes to boat repairs. Not much to this one, no need to hire a professional, and it won't take you much longer than the trip to the store.

Good luck.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby darts » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks so much Green Lake! I will attempt the repairs per your instructions. A few other questions before I dig in....

What is the best way to remove a rivet? Any advice anyone? As you can see in the photo, the mast foot/plate is now crooked because one of the three rivets that connect it to the mast has busted off in the fall. I am unable to straighten the mast foot because of this, so I am thinking I must remove the remaining rivets, in order to remove the mast foot from the mast and straighten it out, then re-revit to the mast...is this correct??

Last question. During the fall, one of my jumper struts/spreaders busted off at the welding point. I have been doing research and many say I don't need it. In order to repair it I would have to go through the trouble of re-welding it to the mast (which I don't have and don't know how to do). So I'm thinking of just removing the remaining jumper strut as well....Or just leaving the remaining one up. Is it wise to do this? Any advice would be great. Thanks!
darts

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:16 am

Jumper struts/diamond stays: not strictly needed. I removed mine finally when I had to straighten my mast and they were in the way. Haven't bothered to put them back on.

Rivets are drilled out. If you size the drill bit to the hole the rivet is in, then once the bit has gone deep enough, it should separate head from shank without altering the hole.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only