New to this site and new O'Day Daysailer 1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New to this site and new O'Day Daysailer 1

Postby Windtherapy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks for the approval into the site. A little bit about me and then my 2 questions. Pretty much a new sailor even though I grew up on a lake and we had a little 14 foot sailboat but then again that we were just happy to get it moving a tad and then roll it (turtled a few times). I bought an O'Day 26 two years ago and still working on it and since I am so anal and everything has to be just right, I haven't sailed it yet but did buy a 36 foot slip on Lake Huron so hopefully next summer I will be using that however (long sentence)...I just bought a Daysailer to learn on and enjoy it when we go camping or just on local lakes whenever. The Daysailer I bought was in pretty darn good shape for the late 60's and I just got done this weekend repairing a sail rip (small), hoisting the sails and stepping the mast to see how easy it is (way easier than my 26--haha), rewired the entire trailer with LED lights and put a roller wheel on the trailer.

I do have a few questions though and would appreciate experienced O'Day Daysailer owners opinions or answers please.

1. Is the keel supposed to drop at all (even a tad) when the lever is tight all the way to hold it up? I see mine is hitting a roller on the trailer and dropped about 1/2" event though the lever is tight and since I haven't launched it yet, I am not sure once launched the keel will drop all the way having some issues with the mechanism so I thought I would ask.

2. I heard the original O'Day Daysailers did not have the mast extension with the hing tabernacle so one would have to drop the entire mast in the hole and then onto the movable mast riser. So here is my dilemma, that extension piece just pulls off the mast raising mechanism and that sucks when you are trying to step the mast by yourself for when you start to step the mast, the mast comes right out of the hole. Am I missing something here or is that mast extension supposed to be somehow secured to the raising mechanism?

I guess that is it for now but will most likely have more questions later--thanks everybody. Ooops, one more---is this site specific to O'Day or all Daysailers?
Windtherapy

Re: New to this site and new O'Day Daysailer 1

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Windtherapy wrote:1. Is the keel supposed to drop at all (even a tad) when the lever is tight all the way to hold it up? I see mine is hitting a roller on the trailer and dropped about 1/2" event though the lever is tight and since I haven't launched it yet, I am not sure once launched the keel will drop all the way having some issues with the mechanism so I thought I would ask.

It's called a centerboard and, yes, unfortunately, the square hole that the handle fits into gets worn over time.

On a DS1, getting the centerboard out for a repair is fairly easy. Just need to get your boat on the ground and tip it so you can get the CB out. You can raise the mast and use it as a lever to pull the boat on its side by yourself (on a soft surface) or ask a friend or two to help (without raising a mast). Once you have the CB out, lining the hole with some metal (like a bit of 1" square stainless steel tubing) should give you a fix.

You still want to support the CB so it doesn't "hang" from its pivot while on a trailer (the lever arm is pretty fierce).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Windtherapy wrote:2. I heard the original O'Day Daysailers did not have the mast extension with the hing tabernacle so one would have to drop the entire mast in the hole and then onto the movable mast riser. So here is my dilemma, that extension piece just pulls off the mast raising mechanism and that sucks when you are trying to step the mast by yourself for when you start to step the mast, the mast comes right out of the hole. Am I missing something here or is that mast extension supposed to be somehow secured to the raising mechanism?

I take it that your mast has been modified to have a tabernacle hinge, but still uses the mast jack for tensioning.

Should be easy to fit some kind of ring around the top of the mast extension (underneath the deck) that prevents it from coming out through the "hole" (called "mast partners"), but still allows enough movement to rise up while the mast is being raised for tensioning the rig.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Windtherapy wrote:is this site specific to O'Day or all Daysailers?

Welcome to the forum. You may find that you use your smaller boat more often than your larger one (common effect).

You are correct, this site is about the O'Day DaySailer (and follow-on and closely related models, like the DS2 and DSIII, and updated, modern DS1).

You may find that some discussions here apply to your other boat, but by 26' things begin to be in a different size class. You are welcome to read through the older posts to learn anything that you might find useful. There may be other websites more geared towards either O'Day 26 or other boats that have similar characteristics.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Windtherapy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:14 am

Awesome thank you all. I'll work on the center board and rig up something just below the deck on the mast so it won't come out while stepping the mast (great idea).
Windtherapy

Postby Windtherapy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:37 am

Quick question. Does a late 60's day sailer have a single hull or double win the balsam inbetween? I have one small leak at the bottom and it is not soft so I thought maybe a single hull. Hard to tell sometimes. I am thinking about using Wet Dry 700 for the repair--thoughts?
Windtherapy

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:00 pm

(The CB issue is something that doesn't prevent you from enjoying whatever fall sailing is available...)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Windtherapy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Why do some people talk about removing the foam from forward and seat areas? Really, just remove it---why not just leave it.
Windtherapy

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:02 am

I opened the front tank in mine and found the foam waterlogged.
At least the bottom layer was totally soggy. I removed all of it and then replaced with new foam. Many people use pool noodles, I used the "pink" styrofoam (expecting it to perform better than 1960's version).

I took the corks out of the small openings at the front end of the seats and could not detect any moisture, so I've left those alone.

If water is allowed to collect in a boat, it can leak into the tanks over time via those small holes. In my case, the trailer had been blown off its support and the boat was bow down in a storm. That was all it took to let the front compartment fill with water. (Or it may have been waterlogged even before, but I wouldn't know). Once water gets in there it's pretty hard to dry these out completely, so putting better foam in there is definitely the "fix".

Soda/water bottles with caps (and a bead of sealant on each cap) are also a possible strategy. In the insides, out of the UV, their plastic doesn't degrade and they are not that different in net buoyancy from foam. Reuse, also gets you karma points...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Windtherapy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:37 am

Ok thank you very much for this. That will be a winter project in my pole barn along with tons of other stuff.
Windtherapy

Postby Windtherapy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:52 pm

Does the tabernacle slant forward or aft on a DS1? I am building an apparatus to keep the mast extension in the cutty from coming out and I noticed there is a slant one way on the tabernacle. I am going to guess it slants forward like my O'Day 26' does.
Windtherapy

Postby jeadstx » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:55 am

I would have to take a look at my mast extrusion on my DS I, but I'm pretty sure it is vertical or very slightly aft. You don't want the mast to be raked forward.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Windtherapy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:43 am

Ya it's aft I found out. Thanks. Heading out in half an hour to catch the beautiful fall day. 72 degrees and 10mph winds. It will be my first time in the Daysailer and the first time I have sailed in 35 years. Hope all goes well.

I did build an apparatus to keep that mast extension down while stepping the mast. Seems to work great. Going with the wife and daughter and told them to wear their suit in case I turtle it or just roll it. Told them to wear a helmet also in case I do an accidental jybe.
Windtherapy

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:11 pm

I've found that on the DS the boom is high enough that it's not really in danger of making contact.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only