DaySailer1 ??

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DaySailer1 ??

Postby time2go » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Hi All
Big boat sailer who just bought a Daysailer to have a boat at the nearby lake.
I believe it's a 69, that's what the title says ,can't find a HIN
Registration says #5 but I believe that to be an assigned number by the DMV
This boat has diamond spreaders on the mast,motor well, lever for centerboard
and what appears to be some type of plastic cap on centerboard trunk, jib blocks on the
Inside of the coaming, sheets led to crisscrossing cam cleats on the CB trunk,
triangle traveler type thing for the end of boom main sheet.
I've sailed her a few times and had great fun, however 99% of time I single hand
so would like to make a few modifications
On another DS at my lake I've seen a mod in which a channel made out of wood is
bolted to the top of the CB trunk with the jib sheet cams cleats face in aft not sideways.
On this boat the trunk is solid fiberglass. So my question is what is under the
CB trunk cap? Is there enough room to get a set of bolts thru?
With the end of boom sheeting is it worth the effort to put in a real traveler and not just the ability
Let the triangle go to leeward in a stiff breeze? Any advantage to be able to pull the boom to windward
In light air?
I plan to add a vang which is not on the boat as well as a set of reef points and associated rigging.
Anybody put an extension on the CB lever to raise it from aft while beaching single handed?
Would a 35 pound thrust motor be enough to get away from the dock or beach
and push the boat a short distance if the wind goes mustang?
All that said I find sailing the DS to be great fun and a nice break from big boats
Tiller in one hand, main sheet in the other, wind in my face and the whole boat for a boat buck
Loving It
Thanx in advance
Neil
Cheers
time2go

Re: DaySailer1 ??

Postby jeadstx » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:47 am

At the beginning of the Day Sailer I section there is a topic about design changes over the years that help identify your boat's year. I guess your ID plate is missing, should have been on the bow tank bulkhead, but also found on the rear coaming on some boats. I've read that the Hull number (total boats built by O'Day to that point) may be found either on the bow under the rub rail or under a chain plate. The original ID plate had the Hull number and the class (sail) number on it. Your sail number may also be a clue to year of manufacture.

I have a 1969 Day Sailer I (class number 3229) that I bought a year ago. You definitely have a Day Sailer I. Original rig on the boat was a Crosby rig, the rope traveler was a modification that is commonly used. I'm installing the rope traveler setup on my boat. A boat I race against in the fall uses that system and they always take first place.

My boat has been setup for racing and I have added a spinnaker. I built a boom vang with parts from West Marine, there are several threads on the forum concerning boom vangs. I also have a set of reef points using a jiffy reef setup. I got a reefing hook from D&R Marine. D&R has most of the parts for Day Sailers as does Cape Cod Shipbuilding (current builder of Day Sailers).

The actual centerboard trunk is under the cap. My centerboard does not have a cap, but I have seen pictures of other 1969 boats that do. It may have been a design change during that year. It seems design changes showed up mid year from what I have observed.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:29 am

Welcome to the forum, Neil.

My '63 definitely does not have a cap (but it has a "hump"-like section where extra material is added in the middle of the CB trunk. Some prev. owner used that area to attach a length of aluminum channel on to which he bolted the jib cleats.

After I took over, I had that replaced by a machined SS part, because the aluminum was happily eroding away (turning into flakes and dust).
Click Image to Enlarge

You can see the two screws that attach that part to the CB trunk. They don't go down, but across. They go through the regular (not the hump) part of the CB trunk top (actually just below the top as you can see them when sighting into the CB well with the board pulled out). They effectively protruded by their own diameter into that space, but it seems they don't hit the CB.

Hope this helps you solve your problem.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby time2go » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:14 am

Thanx John and Greenlake,
I will have a look at the plate described by John,
It's there but I thought it was just an Oday Logo,
might have some info on it.
Greenlake, what you show in your pic is exactly the mod I want to do
Except a bit wider to allow cam cleats to be facing aft.
This will allow better control while single handed.
I'll take some pictures this weekend.
Cheers
Neil
time2go

Postby jeadstx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 am

The hull and class numbers will be etched into the bottom of the plate.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 am

Neil, look into your seating position as well. Because I don't find the orientation of these a problem when single-handing. I suspect, you should probably sit further forward than you are; if controlling these is an issue. If they are facing aft, you might have some issues controlling these when you are sitting on the high side.

What made the difference for me, incidentally, was knotting the jib sheets together into a "continuous" loop. That totally eliminated losing the end of one during a tack.

You will note that my cleats aren't "captive" so I can pull the jib sheet tight and then I cleat it by bringing it down (rather than having to pull it through). If I sit too high, a well-placed foot will help cleat the sheet. If I cast off a sheet, it never re-cleats itself accidentally.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Windtherapy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 pm

I just did this to my DS1. Upon refurbing the entire thing, I made an aluminum bracket for the top of the CB and installed 2 Harken extreme angle cam cleats on there with each angled a tad to their respective sheet position. I sit as far forward as feels comfortable and also made a 24" tiller extension. That set up works great for single hand sailing.

The previous setup did not have the cam cleats on top of the centerboard and instead at the jib cars which was insanely stupid in my eyes so after studying the centerboard a tad, I found there to be plenty of room above it to drill holes for two 3" SS bolts with self locking nuts.
Windtherapy

Postby time2go » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Found the ID plate
"Built By
The O'Day Company
Fall River, Massachusetts
Hull 19944 Class. 3681 "

How do I post pictures ?

Cheers
Neil
time2go

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:36 pm

There's a section on this forum with info on how to use the forum - instructions can be found there.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only