boat/class question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

boat/class question

Postby Peter McMinn » Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:44 pm

I have an opportunity to buy a stock DS1(2?) in good shape--everything original. The hull number apparently is DS10887; class 1893. Can anyone enlighten me as to who manufactured this boat and when? Is this a DS1 or 2? What would you expect to pay for this boat?
Please reply directly to petermcminn@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Peter
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:15 pm

Hi, Your number is very similar to mine (1868) so I guess I'll try to answer. You probably have a DS1. The way to tell them apart is that the DS1 has an open Cuddy Cabin, whereas the DS2 has one you can enclose easily. (most come with boards to enclose the cuddy cabin) Another way to tell is that the DS 2 is double hulled, and self bailing. From what I understand, the first and larger number is the number the boat was made by O'day, out of all the boats (Daysailer, Rhodes 19, Javalin, etc) where the second number, (the smaller one similar to the one I gave you for mine) is the class number and is what you would put on your sail if you are interested in racing. There is a link on this site where it charts out who the makers are, for each of the sail numbers. This might be helpful. Good luck

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only