Centerboard Repair Help

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard Repair Help

Postby darts » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi Fellow DS1 sailors!

Hope all is well with the warm season upon us! I have a quick question for anyone who can dish out advice. I am getting ready to put my DS1 back in the water for summer, and are making a few minor tune-up repairs...So last season I noticed a lot of "give" on my centerboard when it was down during sailing. To explain...whenever I lost wind and was just leisurely floating about or going very slow, a passing motor craft would come by and leave me bobbing in the chop. When that would happen, I would hear and feel my centerboard banging around quite violently under the water...worried me that the darn thing would break off or take on damage due to the violent banging I felt and heard. Is this normal??? Or is it loose or something?? Would tightening the bolts that hold the handle help at all?? or not be worried?? I also noticed a little leaking from the handle when I would bring up the centerboard to go back into shore. Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance!!
darts

Re: Centerboard Repair Help

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:33 am

Some centerboard banging is normal in the conditions that you describe; especially if you have the original system where the CB is supported only on the handle side. (Gently) tightening the screws around the handle can help stem a leak there. However, you may need to replace your gasket eventually. (See D&R Marine for DaySailer-specific replacement parts).

Does you CB raise all the way when the handle is up, or does it droop a little? If so, the square slot in the CB for the square pin from the handle may be worn a bit. Successful repair requires removing the CB and inserting a metal shim (stainless or bronze).

If you do remove the CB, you'll have a chance to assess it's general condition: does it have cracks and gouges that should be filled? You want as smooth a board as possible.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby OdayJeff » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:56 pm

I am experiencing the same thing on my DS1. The boat is stored on a lift on the lake. Has anyone repaired the centerboard on the water or is it best to pull her out? I found the replacement gasket at D&R marine. Is there anything else I should replace at the same time? Does anyone have any pictures or a video of the repair?
OdayJeff

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:41 pm

With the boat on a lift you can run two slings around the hull that will support the CB when the handle is removed. This might work for a gasket replacement. You may need a helper to push the CB into alignment again for the re-install. If your lift does not support the CB, you could also use the slings to lower the CB entirely to be able to assess its condition and make needed (cosmetic) repairs. The DS CB should be less than 25lbs, so it's possible to wrangle it in unusual circumstances.

However, if you have a bit of beach at hand, tipping over your DS after beaching it (parallel to the shore) is a snap.

(try to get it further out of the water than on the picture).

Once the mast is parallel to the ground, a small weight, like a cinder block or two will hold it in place.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby OdayJeff » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.
OdayJeff

Return to Day Sailer I Only