DS-1 centerboard knocking and lateral trunk movement.

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS-1 centerboard knocking and lateral trunk movement.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:10 pm

I'm gathering from reading the other messages under the DS-1 category that my problem with centerboard knocking and lateral truck movement in chop on my 1966 DS_1 is fairly common. However, I haven't been able to decipher from those messages exactly what the problem is or how to fix it. Can someone advise me on this?

Mark Miller (miller_mark_web-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:22 pm

Here's how I fixed my sloppy centerboard...

I took the centerboard out of the boat and measured the width inside the trunk. I then made a shim by cutting a large circular disk (10-12" diameter) from a plastic'ish cutting board that my wife had. The cutting board was about 5/8" thick if I remember right and I had to use a belt sander to get it down to 1/2". I then glued this disc onto the port side of the centerboard centered about the handle hole. The next day I put it back together--it was a snug fit and I probably should have sanded off another 1/16" as it's now a little tighter than it needs to be. I have to use 2 hands to get the board up and down due to the extra friction, but I'm not complaining...no more knocking back and forth in light air and no more water leakage around the gasket...

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
White Rock Lake - Fleet 50

PS> You might ask your wife before destroying one of her cutting boards or hide the evidence really well. I did neither and boy did I hear about it... :^)

Kevin Clark (kclark987-at-aol.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only