Floorboards required?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Floorboards required?

Postby BananaCollision » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:34 pm

I just bought an old daysailer (pre '72) with no floorboards.
I see lots of discussion on the forums about maintaining the floorboards, but other similar boats e.g. flying scott, interlake don't have them.

Are the floorboards really required? Any reports of sailing without them and cracking the hull?
BananaCollision

Re: Floorboards required?

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:48 pm

I've been working on refinishing mine and that's taking longer than anticipated, so I've now sailed more than one season without. No apparent issues. I did find it useful to construct a small temporary plywood platform between CB and Mast to be able to rest gear w/o having it get wet at the first instant of taking on a bit of water (or rain).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:19 pm

I was looking at the DS by-laws the other night and don't recall seeing anything about floorboards, as to whether they are included in the weight calculations. The minimum weight of a DS is ~575 lbs:
BOAT WEIGHT: The hull and centerboard complete with all permanent fittings, fixed ballast, mast, boom, spinnaker pole,all standing and running rigging, rudder and tiller assembly; but less sails and all loose gear, such as but not limited to anchor, paddle, and all lines that are not running rigging, shall weigh a minimum of 575 pounds. Boats not rigged for spinnaker are not required to weigh a spinnaker pole. Whisker poles are optional.

Daysailer by-laws, section 5.16

I see no mention of floor boards, themselves being not a permanent fitting, but more like "loose gear". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all the "DS pros" weigh and race without floorboards?!
I don't have any floorboards for my boat and I have been semi-interested in either finding myself a set to restore/use or make myself some, mainly for foot comfort since I keep whacking my feet on the centerline drain plug I have in-lieu of the plastic stopper screw that originally came with the boat...
M
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby rnlivingston » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 pm

Floorboards are not required and some manufacturers after O'Day did not offer them. For those of us that race, it is the extra weight factor. But for me personally, floorboards raise your feet up about 3 inches and I find it uncomfortable.
They do look good and occasionally, I stick them in.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby BananaCollision » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks all for the advice. I will happily put floorboards down at the "comfort" end of my getting-seaworthy checklist.
BananaCollision

Return to Day Sailer I Only