New to the Daysailer family

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New to the Daysailer family

Postby skullersrc » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 pm

Hi all, I'm a new member of the daysailer family here in Exuma, Bahamas. I'm fairly certain that my boat is a DSI (came with an old sail, #259) hereby christened "S.S. Bitter Lemon", although I haven't been able to locate a serial number plate yet. The information on this forum has been indispensable as I learned about this boat before my first shake down cruise. I'm really looking forward to getting a lot of good sailing out of it.

I come from a long family history of traditional Bahamian racing sloop sailors & boatbuilders and currently help teach kids to sail here in a combined fleet of Opti's, Sunfish, Hobie Waves & a few Hobie 16's & Prindle 18's.
Attachments
IMG_20171222_140543635.jpg
Bitter Lemon
IMG_20171222_140543635.jpg (155.65 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
skullersrc

Re: New to the Daysailer family

Postby Toad » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:45 am

Wow, sweet! You have a pretty boat. Might I ask, do you have a picture of how your seats are arranged/installed? I have a similar boat with the seats completely missing and would LOVE to see how yours are installed.
Toad

Postby Shagbark » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:54 am

Pretty boat, and not a bad place to go daysailing to boot!
Shagbark

Postby rnlivingston » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 pm

It looks like an early Daysailer 1. If the sail number is correct, it was made around 1959 by Marcot Plastic who produced the first Daysailers for O'Day. The identification plate would have been on the rear bulkhead. It should have the wood seats and lines in the deck to simulate planks. I'm in the process of helping a friend put together one from the same time frame. Yours looks to be in beautiful condition. Enjoy it.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby skullersrc » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Toad wrote:Wow, sweet! You have a pretty boat. Might I ask, do you have a picture of how your seats are arranged/installed? I have a similar boat with the seats completely missing and would LOVE to see how yours are installed.

I'll take a shot for you tomorrow, it's very simple.

Shagbark wrote:Pretty boat, and not a bad place to go daysailing to boot!

I'm spoiled by the location.

rnlivingston wrote:It looks like an early Daysailer 1. If the sail number is correct, it was made around 1959 by Marcot Plastic who produced the first Daysailers for O'Day. The identification plate would have been on the rear bulkhead. It should have the wood seats and lines in the deck to simulate planks. I'm in the process of helping a friend put together one from the same time frame. Yours looks to be in beautiful condition. Enjoy it.

I'll look for the ID plate the next time I go out and yes it does have wood seats and the simulated planks in the deck. Thanks for the info!
skullersrc

Postby daysailers3 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Welcome and Happy Christmas! What a beautiful boat she is, especially for her age. Must have been well taken care of...Enjoy the forum. It is a treasure trove of information and as well as links to knowledgeable and friendly DS sailors.
daysailers3

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Love it! That's a beautiful boat. I certainly hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my boat. I think it's a fantastic boat to teach people how to sail.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Friendship22 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:01 pm

Wow, what a beauty. I recently inherited a Day Sailer 1 but a little bit worse for wear.

You posted that yours had wooden seats as well but in the photo it doesn't look like they are installed. Could you post those pictures? I think I need to replace most of the wood on my boat and was wondering the best way to go about it.
Friendship22

Return to Day Sailer I Only