Mast extrusion/tabernacle questions

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast extrusion/tabernacle questions

Postby Toad » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Upon arrival our daysailer had the “lower” part of what appeared to be a tabernacle (hinged) mast setup. We have a complete mast from a newer Daysailer and a Daysailer2 onsite (both w/the hinge setups in place)
When I compared the mast extrusions from the complete masts to the existing “lower half” (compression post?) already in the boat. They were not the same. The part in the boat was significantly smaller (in diameter) but DID fit perfectly down the hole thru the cabin top. The masts I have will NOT fit thru said hole, nor do they match well with the jack screw. The existing lower part also does not allow the lower half of the tabernacle hinge to fit into it.
The mast partner (hole) appears to be 100% from the factory, but will not accept the mast sizes I have. (Hole is too small)
Did these boats have different size mast extrusions over the years?
Is the size differance due to “Tabernacle, or no-tabernacle” options from the factory?
Clues that the existing, smaller extrusion is the stock one..
It fits thru the hole in the cabin top perfectly. It sits on the jack screw perfectly, and it has, what looks like, the original wood insert that fits the jack screw shaft.
I believe I can modify the lower tabernacle hinge to fit the existing lower mast piece. I certainly do not want to butcher the cabin top!
Opinions?
Toad

Re: Mast extrusion/tabernacle questions

Postby Alan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:41 pm

https://www.dwyermast.com/families.asp? ... Name=Masts

For whatever help it may be, here's a link to some mast specs from Dwyer mast. The DM-284 is what I have on my 1980 Daysailer II, and it fits through the stock hole in the cabin top with about 1/4 inch to spare.

I would adapt the mast to the hole, rather than the other way around, just because it sounds easier and more reversible.
Alan

Re: Mast extrusion/tabernacle questions

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:55 am

Alan wrote:I would adapt the mast to the hole, rather than the other way around, just because it sounds easier and more reversible.

I tend to agree for hinged masts, where the bottom part is effectively just a "compression post". I certainly would not encourage anyone to modify the lower portion of continuous mast section.

Compression posts are loaded simply on compression and as long as they can handle those loads, and properly attach to the mast jack/mast step on the bottom and properly support a tabernacle for the "real" mast they can be made in a variety of ways.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only