Stepping Mast on 1977 Daysailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Stepping Mast on 1977 Daysailer

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 28, 2002 12:17 pm

Hello, I just purchased a 1977 Daysailer and want to know if there is a easy way to step the mast. I was thinking of modifying with a tabernacle system. Any advise or help would be appreciated. Thanks Tom

Tom Grover (grovert-at-msu.edu)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:44 pm

Look around for previous discussions regarding mast raising. I considered the mast modification too. I have a 1 piece mast and usually have someone help me lift it out of the cradle and place the butt on the ground next to the boat while I stand next on the cuddy and plant the mast through the partner with assistance (verbal or physical) in placing the butt on the mast step. The other day no one else was around and once I has the mast balanced it was easy to right it and place it through the partner by myself. I climbed down below and placed the mast on the step myself. The leverage isn't ideal holding the base of the mast inside the boat, but it was better than waiting around. I would do it again no problem.

Barry (bkelleher-at-sandiego.gov)

Postby Guest » Mon May 13, 2002 3:02 pm

I can't imagine balancing that mast alone. My DS1 had a tabernacle installed, which makes the job much easier. The lower section of the mast stays on the boat, poking up through the cuddy roof. The upper section then hinges in and pivots up. But a word of caution....even this is difficult single-handed. You'll read lots of ways to STEP the mast, but getting it back down is another story. It wants to fall hard, and you'll want to devise a system of blocks and cam-cleats that allow you to lower the mast gradually.

This issue was getting in the way of my enjoying my new toy, and so she eventually ended up at a marina; mast up, cover on, and now whenever I wanna go sailing I simply bend on the sails and untie the dock lines! It is money well spent for me...you may want to consider the same.

Tom Beames (tbeames65-at-cs.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only