Floorboard Strapping

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Floorboard Strapping

Postby Adept » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:49 am

Hi,

Looking for some advice on hot to protect the strapping/risers on the floor boards from friction. I refinished my boards two years ago using Spar varnish; it's lasted well on the tops of the boards, but there is wear on the strapping pieces where they make contact with the fiberglass hull. Originally I had put foam weatherstripping under the risers, but the adhesive released and the foam retained water (which I should have anticipated).

I'm thinking of sealing the bottoms and sides of those pieces of wood with epoxy instead of varnish and tacking rubber D channels in place. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Adam
Adept

Re: Floorboard Strapping

Postby GreenLake » Tue May 01, 2018 10:55 am

The minute you work with epoxy, you will trap moisture in the wood. That's OK if you can make sure the seal is perfect and never broken. Otherwise you will get water sucked into the wood and it won't be able to evaporate. Also, epoxy doesn't work all that well if wood is allowed to get wet, because the swelling is strong enough that it can overcome the bond.

I've left mine untreated for many years and it seems to not have caused any issues. I do keep my boat on a trailer and do not leave the boards in for extended storage, so the wood could always dry out.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Floorboard Strapping

Postby Adept » Tue May 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Good cautions against using epoxy... for some reason the idea of letting the strapping weather and sit untreated doesn't sit well with me, but I could just not know any better. Has anyone tried replacing the strapping with modern plastic decking material?
Adept

Return to Day Sailer I Only