Sticky centerboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Sticky centerboard

Postby cbryceb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 pm

I have a 1981 Rebel Daysailer which I'm not sure if it's the same as a DS 1, but ever since I bought it a number of years ago, the centerboard has been sticky getting it down and up requiring someone to go under the boat (in the water) to help it in both directions. I've always thought that was odd, but figured friction is what kept it in place when deployed as there is only a handle in the boat to raise and lower it. It would definitely be handier if it was easier to move up and down :)

Anyone have any experience with this problem?
cbryceb

Re: Sticky centerboard

Postby jalmeida51 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 am

Did you try to back off the 3 screws (bolts ) on the centerboard handle pressure plate? Be careful if you back them off too much you might have a leak around the handle. I did this and it helped somewhat. If my board sticks I use a piece of pvc pipe over the bronze handle to get more leverage. I think I'm getting weak in my old age. Hope this helps, John
jalmeida51

Postby cbryceb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:00 am

Many thanks for the inputs. I'll try the extra leverage approach. The gaskets around the pressure plate are very old and already leak a small amount when the boat is in the water. Is there somewhere I can get replacement gaskets or do I need to make my own if I try to tackle a replacement operation?
cbryceb

Postby jalmeida51 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 am

I believe D & R Marine has the gaskets. If you do replace them put a coating of water proof grease on them this will prevent leaking. John
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 pm

old gaskets will fail . . .
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only