Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: #37

Postby ShallowSeas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:19 pm

Thanks for all this information. My plan is be to build a simple hoist in the garage, and then use it to get the boat off the trailer, flipped over, and lowered onto some supports. If I need it vertical over the winter, I can do that for a short time, and then flip it back over again.
ShallowSeas

Postby tomodda » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Can also be done with good ratchet straps, fore and aft. Look at Quickloader Retractable Ratchet Straps..... When I flipped my boat, I used a chain hoist and a rolling loop in the middle of the boat (just aft of the cuddy) as GL describes, with ratchet straps for and aft to keep things steady. When I unflipped the boat, I realized that I didn't really need the middle loop and just used my ratchet straps to lift. The big trick was to keep the straps from slipping (they REALLY wanted to slip off the bow). I used some bits of rope to keep the straps in place, tied to the bow cleat for the fore sling and to handy side-deck cleats for the aft sling. Remember, the slings try to move OUT (fore and aft), so you need to protect against that.

Ratchets make raising the boat very easy, just ratchet up the front about a foot, then the back, then repeat. The Quick Release part is nice for lowering the boat easily, but be careful not to go TOO fast! I used a third sling (something cheaper, but still heavy-duty) as a "guard" while lowering... in other words, I put the extra sling at the front, a bit loose (maybe 3 inches of slack), released my quick release so the boat dropped onto the safety sling, engaged my quick release again, slacked the safety sling 3 inches, repeat... I'd let the front down maybe a foot, then even up at the back, then repeat. Yes, sounds long and laborious, but really didn't take too long, I think 30 mins to lower my boat 3 feet, alone.

As I wrote before, actually flipping the boat in it's slings is not too hard, as long as you are able to squat-lift 200lbs or so. The tricky part is when it's straight up on it's side (90 degrees), really helps to have an extra hand to steady the boat while you run to the other side. But doesn't take any strength to hold it steady, anyone can do it. Good luck!

Tom
tomodda

Postby ShallowSeas » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Well, I was going to post pics, but I can't seem to figure out how. In any case, I built a frame of 4x4 verticals and a bunch of 2x4 cross bracing. There are two hefty ratcheting straps for lifting, but it is then lowered onto three platforms, two straddling the stern to allow for the centerboard to drop (these are about where the trailer bunks are) and a third under the bow. For the bow platform I layered two 2x8s into a 4x8 and cut a narrow V that matches the hull around the front of the cabin. The ratcheting straps are snug (and are my safeties) but the weight is on the supports.

Now the real work begins. First drop and clean the CB. Then flip it over and assess the hull paint situation.
ShallowSeas

Postby ShallowSeas » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:51 am

Lots of junk around the garage still, but you get the idea.

Front view
Side view
ShallowSeas

Postby tomodda » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Looks good! And to post pics here, you need to resize them to below 256 KB, around 640x480 resolution. There are plenty of resizing apps online, pick one. Resize it, upload it, then place it inline. The tools are in the box below the edit window (Upload Attachment).
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Resolution can (and should be) higher than 640x480. However, you need to select JPG compression value to "medium" or use an app that applies a bit of compression. It's the file size, not so much the pixel dimensions. Now, the gallery has some pixel dimension limitation, but even there, I think 1200 longest edge is fine.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby baggywrinkle » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:27 pm

Very nice restoration !!
baggywrinkle

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only