DS 1 #1924 overhauled

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS 1 #1924 overhauled

Postby DavidOates8011 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Yes this is the same DS1 #1924 to reclaim, now its overhauled! Cockpit was stripped, sanded, primed and painted. New wood on top of thwarts and lid at motor well for cool stuff. Coamings refinshed & trimmed. Hull was compounded & polished. Tiller & rudder restored. New spec rudder head. New: Neil Pryde sails, spin by SLO, standing and running rigging, blocks, spreaders, lines, through top leads and more...
Attachments
Docked sunset resized.jpg
Docked sunset resized.jpg (155.13 KiB) Viewed 7493 times
Polished 2.jpg
Polished 2.jpg (165.7 KiB) Viewed 7493 times
David Oates
DS1, #1924, year 1965, 'Survivor'
San Antonio, TX
DavidOates8011

Re: DS 1 #1924 overhauled

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Very nice and great pictures.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Looking good, thanks for sharing! Question - it looks like you build some kind of console over the centerboard, under the cuddy? With compass, cam cleats for the inhaulers, and maybe a rope-holding bag? What's that all about and can we see a close-up photo? Looks like a great idea.

Tom
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:31 pm

I agree, a closeup picture of that would be of interest.

It's something that an number of DS1 owners have done to support the deck at that point, whether as a repair or to simply stiffen the boat. (Internally the edge of the deck is held up by a piece of rebar (!) encased in fiberglass - something that can start to rust if any cracks allow water to get in and then it has to be removed).

Once you have a post or frame in that location it magically attracts rope bags, compasses and the like as you can see in photos of similar boats.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:24 pm

GreenLake wrote:Once you have a post or frame in that location it magically attracts rope bags, compasses and the like as you can see in photos of similar boats.

Seems like a good place for a cigar holder and a gimballed whiskey dispenser, but that's just me.....
tomodda

Postby DavidOates8011 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:08 am

Here is pic of my center console/ dashboard. I looked at many others & came up with my unique design. It works great as it is all organized & crew is happy.
It also has added great support to the cuddy top. It is made of alum. L angle from HD so it is very light & cost only about $20. I drew it all out & made templates.
The legs are bolted at the foot to a short L bracket that is through bolted in the floor channel, just forward of the CB trunk.
The legs at the top are also bolted to a short L bracket that is through bolted in cuddy top. The legs spread wider at top for better strength & allow room for the compass & rope bag. The compass is mounted on a wood backer that is screwed to the leg.
In design, I wanted to make sure that the width would allow access inside the cuddy and room for the spinnaker bag. All of the corners are rounded and edges filed.
Lines and blocks are color coded for easy ID.

As I have a hinged step mast, I made through deck grommets for the spin halyard, spin down haul & uphaul, also a jib downhaul. The spin tweakers are to a thru deck sheave.

The Jib sheet blocks are mounted on a SS saddle base of my design & made at a local metal shop, not cheap. Again this was VERY carefully thought out, drawn up and templated.
It has 2 parts: the saddle base that is machine screwed (including 3M Marine adhesive) on the CB trunk and the angled mounts for the blocks. They are machine screwed on to the saddle. This set up & placement has worked really well especially in good wind when crew is hiking & leaning out.

Let me know if this helps or any questions.
Attachments
Center console labeled resized pic.jpg
Center console labeled resized pic.jpg (75.88 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
David Oates
San Antonio, TX
DavidOates8011

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:35 pm

So you have a set if spinnaker tweakers. Do you also have Barber inhauls for the jib?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DavidOates8011 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Yes I have barber inhaulers - the clam cleats are mounted on the cuddy lip. Since this pic, I added a spin downhaul cam block on the console, under the spin topping lift cam block.
The spin is ready to launch.
Attachments
Spin ready and console.jpg
Spin ready and console.jpg (60.16 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
David Oates
San Antonio, TX
DavidOates8011

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Nice.

For the CB bracket: I also had one machined, but don't remember it being particularly "expensive". Mine is much simpler as I have fixed (not swivel) cleats without fairleads (and I use simple plastic wedges for getting a better angle). I also use only a simple pair of #10 throughbolts (no 5200) and never had an issue with it staying on. The bracket itself is a simple U-channel, looks just like the bottom part of your setup, and the cleats attach with machine screws and nylock? nuts. (I had to make a divot or two below the bracket to make room for the nuts).

Mentioning this just so we don't needlessly discourage people.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:50 pm

David:

Thank you for the photos and food for thought!

Tom
tomodda

Return to Day Sailer I Only