DS1 centerboard screw leakage

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 centerboard screw leakage

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:53 am

I noticed water seepage from the two lower screws that tighten the triangle plate to the centerboard handle. I removed one screw and water came gushing out. Is this normal? Would have thought the screw holes would be "blind"...not open at the inner end to water. If they are suppose to be "blind" holes, maybe someone used to long a screw and fractured the inner end? Or, should the screws have, originally, sealant on the thread? Since I keep the boat (hull 4480) in a slip leekage there is of some concern. The gasket does not seem to leak.

Thanks

steve parsons (ramblerdrver-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:14 am

I think those boltholes were blind originally, on my old Widgeon the screws threaded into what appeared to be nuts glassed into the side of the CB trunk. Perhaps a little silicone sealant on the threads will help, just don't use anything permanent, since you may want to remove the board for painting/repairs in the future. I used to remove the board from my Widgeon every Fall to make painting easier in the Spring, I also kept that boat in the water all season, on a mooring.....so any leaks would have been even more inconvenient.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:46 pm

I think I've cured the leakage/seepage...at least for now. I obtained a couple new SS screws from the local hardware store. I then coated the threads with an automotive silicone gasket-maker compound and let that "cure" over night. Then just before installing the new screws I put an extra "glob" of this silicone on the end of the screw and installed the screw (water was streaming out the hole as I did this). Seems to have worked. Did this on both the lower screws. On the rear lower screw I also inserted several 1/4" rubber washers between the plate and centerboard trunk as I installed the screw. This stack of rubber washers was compressed as I tighted up the screw, which helps to seal that screww off.

steve parsons (ramblerdrver-at-aol.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only