To cut mast or not to cut - boat storage

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

To cut mast or not to cut - boat storage

Postby marcusg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi all,
With spring starting up again, I'm about ready to start working on my old Daysailer wannabe (Sailstar 17.) Other than a lot of sanding, expoxying, and re-painting, I have to decide what to do with the mast so I won't need my recently pregnant wife (and now nearby baby) to help me with the sketchy task of raising it by hand.

As I see it, I have three choices:

1. Cut the mast and use the hinge/tabernacle method, and then create some sort of tripod/pulley system so I can raise it on my own.
2. Keep the mast whole and imitate what Greenlake did with his mast-guide contraption.
3. Keep the mast whole and store it at the sailing club, already locked and loaded.

My question is: is #3 even a thing people do? I haven't yet talked much with the sailing club, and I feel shy about asking a stupid question. I know all that I'd want to commit to is a trailer space there, and I don't know if that's even safe/possible to leave the boat with the mast raised all the time in a trailer. Sure would be nice though...

Thanks,
Marcus
marcusg

Re: To cut mast or not to cut - boat storage

Postby GreenLake » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:33 pm

Marcus,

it's easy to construct a tripod system that allows the use of the hinged mast sleeve setup. After pulling the mast up, if you simply let out the purchase, it would go down into the mast step. Lowering goes in reverse: first a pull up vertically, then you guide it to tip back as you let out the purchase. (I have built such a system, and intend to use it whenever back or shoulder problems don't allow me to do the same operation "freehand", that is, with just the sleeve).

The mast sleeve I have simply provides a temporary hinge for the mast foot, so the mast can tip up. It usually doesn't slide when loaded, so will only lower down when the mast is vertical.

The (small) downside of my system is that it wraps the bottom 8-10" of the mast (measured from the deck). Some cleats / blocks will have to be moved. Generally, I've found a workaround for all.

I'm not going to encourage you to cut your mast, because the boat can (will) sail better with it uncut. (If you trim it correctly to take advantage).

I know sailing clubs where people store dinghies (usually somewhat lighter ones) with mast up on either docks or slip trailers. This should be reasonably feasible, especially if the location is either a bit protected, or storm season is well defined so you can de-rig for that time.

Those are my 2 cents.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only