New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Postby igotit » Wed May 19, 2021 11:21 am

Ive had that happen before aswell.
But the opposite....i was the buyer and drove over 100 miles to meet.once there guy tried to up the agreed price.
It was seller idea to meet halfway,and wanted me compensate for his time.
Its one of the reason i avoid buy/sell/trade ads.
And dont get me started on facebook marketplace moron
Example
Sold my wives old suv,114k miles with a bad transmission.wouldnt believe all the messages asking how much,whats wrong with it,is it reliable cuz im a single mother with 3 kids ect.can you deliver to a town 4 hours away,would you consuder $200
Tittle of ad clearly stated needs transmission,and price.
I call those picture shoppers,they dont read,just see something pretty and instantly offer way less before asking whats wrong.
I was asking 1000,had a guy talk me down to 500.i was tired of answering messages and agreeded to 500.guy drove here and was mad at me and didnt want it cuz i never told him trans was going out.do you think youll buy a nice 114k mile car that has nothing wrong with it for 500.this aint the 80s lol.
igotit

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed May 19, 2021 11:14 pm

I've actually had good luck with the online ads. but do hate, when the poster leaves out details like the year, or size of the engine. I did get my DS1 for a reasonable price. was listed for 200, after more photos and a reduction to 100, I offered 50 as it was filthy, had all kind of junk in it. no title, no sails. but thought the trailer was worth that. it had not been licensed since 2002, found only leak was from the CB gasket, it cleaned up fairly nicely.
But i do take care and proceed carefully. I do feel for you (can't reach tho) :D most want something for nothing.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby igotit » Fri May 21, 2021 5:20 pm

Most want something for nothing all the time down here.
In bayou towns boats are valuable.
Older glass boats with bad floors,transoms and no papers sell for 1000 daily here.
Most ride em without registering.

I hate to consider,but if my deal on the other ds1 bare hull falls thru.....ill list the complete sailing rigging forsale here.not sure how to go about shipping a mast thou.
Again really hate to go that route.
The $250 ds1 with nice trailer,guy cant locate papers,and it wasnt on his name.
A paperless boat doesnt do me any good.
I could go the cheaters way and use my current papers on the bare hull ds1 and sell my ds1 ready to sail no papers for 800,but not feeling good about being a cheat.
Be easy sine my ds1 has no hin,only tag in cuddy.
Ill keep searching before i resort to parting out my ds1 thou.
igotit

Postby igotit » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:59 pm

Well i guess my decission is made.
Dont hate me for this.

https://youtu.be/eowU6Y7Nc2s
igotit

Postby Brianl289 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:19 pm

Hey I'd be interesting in the rigging! That's basically the parts of my restoration I don't have! It would be a huge help. I've ordered a couple items from DR Marine and if they decide to process my order I'll still need the lines, some pulleys, etc. Let me know what you have and what you want for it. I'm in San Antonio so shipping wouldn't be bad.
Brianl289

Postby igotit » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Brianl289 wrote:Hey I'd be interesting in the rigging! That's basically the parts of my restoration I don't have! It would be a huge help. I've ordered a couple items from DR Marine and if they decide to process my order I'll still need the lines, some pulleys, etc. Let me know what you have and what you want for it. I'm in San Antonio so shipping wouldn't be bad.

Theres another member ahead of you,as i explained to him.im waiting to hear back from WLF,aslong as they dont hassel for change from outnoatd and sail to inboard....ill part out.
If they hassel ill leave boat asis and sell whole.
Sometimes they want inspection,and a hin.....wbich cost more money.
Ill keep ya posted,and on the list
igotit

Postby Brianl289 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:09 pm

Ok cool that sounds good. I’m mostly interested in the lines, cleats, pulleys. I just ordered a boom vang and my mast/boom is solid so I wouldn’t need those.
Brianl289

Postby igotit » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:23 pm

you fine folks will be happy to know that im no longer chopping up this classic and modifying it at this time.ive picked up another classic to modify.
1972 glasspar avalon 16 with a 74 johnson 70hp.
unsure if ill be still parting out the ds1,but leaning towards selling whole and pass her onto another member.

Image72 glasspar by Nick James, on Flickr
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:03 am

Pheeew. Collective sigh of relief :)

I'm sure you'll be happier with this one; should have better hull form for your purpose, for one.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:46 pm

This is just crazy times.
After 2 mths wlf finally took my call.they recieved my ds1 application on 5/28 and havent got to it yet.
They are on 5/10 paperwork right now,and should get to 5/28 paperwork within 3 weeks.
If theres no issues with paperwork and fees i can expect my papers by late august to early september.
They are no accepting walk ins,or appointments at this time.
Anyone else have big delays with local wildlife n fish?
igotit

Postby tomodda » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:25 am

Nick:

How are you holding out? Tough times for Chauvin, here's hoping all is well for you and family.

Tom
tomodda

Postby igotit » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:00 pm

Im alive and well thanx for asking.
We just got phone service back today,power restore estimate is early october.no running water,thousands of homes destroyed.locally recorded 155-160mph sustained winds with gust peaking out at 197 for 6 hours.
No gas for miles,and when gas available its 3-6 hour wait,most stations limit to 20-30 gal per vehicle.
Tomorrow chevron donating a tanker of gas so that will help.
I faired well,only lost fence,shed,hundreds of trees including 26 100 plus year old oaks and cypress.
All my shingles gone,rain damage interior of house....but structure is solid and fine.
My whole family is safe,few family members lost homes including my mom n dads cypress house that was built in 1907.
We have plenty food and water thanx to national guard.
My ds1 made it with a few scrapes.....oh and 2 days before the storm my papers came in.
I kept calling wlf and they eventually said my papers were lost.so i emailed scanned copies of bill of sales and a week later new registration and the lost ones showed up in mailbox.
All in all im thankfull my family is safe and my house survived with us in it for 8-10 hours of high winds.
Heard a sad story bout this 60 year old couple 5 miles away,their house blew apart with them in it.it was 12ft off the ground on pylons.
They tied themselves to the pylons and prayed.
They survived 5 hours tied to pylons out in the open during the storm.
5 days ago someone was shot at a gas line,while he bleed out and died people just drove around him to tank up.
For those that dont think hurricanes are a big deal once they pass thru.....reality check.humans are the worst in times of need.
Not all,just a select few.
Its bad down here,stay away if you can.....and be safe.
For rita i passed thru new orleans,they had people on side the road,pitch black begging you to stop.aint happening.
Most times when you stop a few people come out the darkness and rob you.
Its hard to help people at night.
igotit

Postby igotit » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:53 pm

Been awhile guys
Slowly transforming my ds1 into a nice fishing boat.
My flickr isnt working and i cant get pics to load from my phone straight to this site.
But i can tell you ive built a nice center transom,new rear deck to accomodate a 9.8 tohatsu 4 stroke.
Removed the trunk,added a 1 1/4 x 1" cypress strake down the center and reshaped the bows profile to get rid of that rise on the bottom.
Ive added about 4" of keel under the bows original lines.
Should help cut thru waves better,and slice thru local vegetation that clogs my waterways.
For now all i can do is a short vid.

Enjoy
https://youtube.com/shorts/TbbXAs24EzM?feature=share
igotit

Postby igotit » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:38 am

Better update of what ive done to my ds1 to suit my needs.

https://youtu.be/D_nc2ItDXWA
igotit

Postby igotit » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:47 pm

Done my first test run.
14 mph with the tohatsu 9.8,then added trim tabs and got 16 mph.
Tracks and rides nice for a cruiser.
igotit

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only